Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

outlaw super duty clutch kit for rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outlaw super duty clutch kit for rubicon

Good day
First post on this site so I hope this works.
First off this topic got my attention because I also have an 05 Rubicon. It's the one they call the Canadian Trail Edition. When I found this site I was looking for a clutch kit to give it more low end power. I was relieved to hear that I wasn't the only one having power issues. One other person mentioned that they could hook up to someone to pull them out and all the quad would do is sit and hum. that's exactly what mine does. My quad is completely stock except for 26"mudlites.26-12-12 rears and 26-10-12 fronts. Propnut made a comment that got me thinking, something to the effect that it may be a Canadian thing. I wonder if this could be? Has anyone noticed if the guys complainig about lack of power were from North or South of the border? Propnut you also mentioned that if I select D-low the quad automaticly selects D-2, am I correct in saying to avoid that I have to go to ESP? Sorry for quoting you so many times in the same post but I think you also mentioned a plugged spark arrestor will also rob the quad of power, how do I check to see if it's plugged.
I guess my last question is due to the fact that my quad will sit and hum instead of pulling will a clutch kit fix this. I want to be able to pull a moose out without worrying weather it will pull or sit. I pulled mine out two years ago but while trying to pull out a friend last weekend I quad wouldn't even try to turn a wheel.
Thanks for now
Mike

Old 05-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Pro Rider

A clutch it may help it diffently won't hurt you. It raises the engagment around 500 rpms, gives the motor a bit more steam to get those larger tires going.

Ever sence the new body style rubicons, they changed alot of things. cam for one, possible for EPA regulations.

So if I was to make a 05 or newer better, I would install a clutch kit for starters and see if that fixes it, then get a Hot Cam or Web Cam. These things will wake up your beast

Old 05-16-2007, 09:31 AM
TIC
Pro Rider

Drilled out spark arrestor
K&n Filter
Stage one jet kit. Thats it.

You have got to open the thing up air and fuel wise,, there is no way around it if your gonna put it in those situations.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Mike, it was my understanding that the CTE had more power. It does have a larger carb, but that usually means more high RPM power and less bottom end torque, if the Rubicon responds to carb changes like every other gas engine I'm familiar with.....

My advice is to use ESP in low. What I have found (during plowing snow and dirt (12 yards this weekend!), and skidding logs) is that you stay in the lower ratio (it won't shift up on you) and you are better able to keep the RPMs high, where the most torque AND HP are created.

I have 26s as well and have powered out once in ESP high. I have also gotten stuck in the mud in a D mode as I went in hot and had to let off the throttle. This signaled to the Hondamatic to shift up and it just put the engine in a range that did not have the power to turn the tires (think of it as shifting a manual to 3rd gear from 1st, it bogged). Once I was stuck I was able to shift to ESP low. The tires would turn but I was stuck by then. It has been my observation that the D modes are not as fast or as smart as a decent rider. Any loss in momentum is a killer, so keep it in ESP and contol it yourself. The transmission shifts smoothly, quickly, and seamlessly, so give it a try. You do not have to let off the throttle.

It is possible your arrester is plugged. I can remember buying an 88 XR600 that was a dog. It wouldn't even bring the front wheel up in 1st. I took the arrester out and BAM, there was the power I was used to. The thing was caked with carbon. A stainless Supertrapp fixed that.

A pipe and opening up the airbox (and ensuring the jetting is right afterward) will make a small difference, but I have not felt the need to do so. I lose traction before power. I also have awakened to the fact that loud pipes close trails. While I liked being able to control where my XRs would hit hard by the number of discs in the pipe, the main reason was the 10+lbs I saved by taking the stock muffler off.

The only thing the clutch kit does is engage at an RPM that has more power. It can help getting it to roll, but I have not had a problem when I use the right gear in the right situation and not being afraid to rev it (if the engine is making the right power).

I find that low is an overkill for a lot of the work I do.

Take the three bolts off the back of the muffler and the spark arrester will come out. Be careful or you may break one of these bolts, use some liquid wrench on them first and let it penetrate. Simply scrub the screen with a wire brush and some solvent (then rinse if the solvent is flammable). Put high temp anti-seize on the bolts and reassemble. I;ve been using Silver Goop for stuff like this, we used it on F16 exhaust bleed valves and it appears to work great.

I don't mind you quoting me, I enjoy constructive discussions. I just hope I'm right when you quote me.

Regards,
Mike

Old 05-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 05 rubicon with 27" bi/triclaws, and I've only ever powered out in deep muskeg/mud/clay while in "D", d1 setting. Shift to low and she walks through.

Not really sure what's stock on it and what's not, haven't really ripped into it too much. When I got it (used), the only thing the guy had mentioned was the tires and rims. It was used to him as well though. Looking at it so far, I know it has a K&N, some sort of locker up front (kinda acts like a detroit gearless) and plastic cut away from a previous snorkel job (which is likely gonna go back on). Don't know what the jetting is like or anything else, but it does have more than enough power.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replys everyone. Does it hurt anything to run the quad without the spark errestor? It doesn't look plugged but I wouldn'y mind trying it without to make sure.
Thanks
Mike

Old 05-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

its going to hurt someone if you start a fire. use it, just clean it. it is only a guess any way. you can test it without it, but I would not keep it that way. they make aftermarket tips with screens, but they just make the quad loud

Old 05-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK I tried it and no difference, taking out the spark arrestor that is. A mechanic I talked to said he thinks my clutch may be burt even though when he did the stall test it indicated that it wasn't. He did admit he wasn't sure though. If it's the clutch that would really suck because it's been like that since new. Anyways I think I'll order a clutch kit and I'll get him yo open it up and put in the kit whele he's at it.
Thanks for now.
Mike

Old 05-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Range Rover

I have never had a lack of power with my Rubicon. But then, nobody uses theirs as hard as you do.......Right? I've been in mudholes to the seat and have pulled large logs and even and stumps, not once has it powered out on me. Sorry to hear you got the lemon.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I didn't say no one uses theirs as hard as I do. I actually don't use it that hard. I do think that when I hook up to someone who is stuck in the mud my quad should either pull him out or at least spin or in the verry least turn a tire. Don't you. When I hooked up yo a friend of mine the tires didn't turn an inch. That's why I'm upset with it. And yes I tries D1 And ESP low range.
Mike

Quick Reply: outlaw super duty clutch kit for rubicon