Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Quick Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Buying Advice

I am in the market for my first ATV! I am looking at two auctions right now, both for 2002 400ex's. They are both local.

ATV 1.)
- Has 1 day and 11 hours remaining (ends sunday night 10pm)
- I would have to pick it up (3 hour trip)
- Looks like brand new condition
- K&M Filter , Nerf Bars , and ATV Cover
- Ridden only 5 times (looks like it)
- Currently at $2,275

ATV 2.)
- Has 7 hours remaining, ends at 6pm tonight
- He would deliver it (106 miles from my house)
- Looks more used (seat not so shiny, Exhause pipe rusty)
- K&M Filter, Maxxis Razr tires
- He says it was never raced, just some trail riding and messing around
- Currently at $1,626

What do you guys think? Would the price offset be enough to convince you that with the money you save you could just buy a new exhaust, some nerf bars, etc.? Are the Maxxis Razr's any good? Is a rusty exhaust a sign of mishandling? Or is that to be expected?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!!

Old 10-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

First let me say that I would never buy anything on the net with a motor in it without checking it out in person.
That being said, I would buy the first quad if you put a gun to my head and said pick one without checking it out.
My #1 question would be......Why are you selling it with so few hours?

Old 10-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

i know some forums don't let you post links, but I think this is different because I'm not trying to sell the 4 wheeler, but here's the first one and here's the second one

Old 10-21-2006, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't buy off the net without checking out the quad 1st. You just never know the persone could not be telling the whole truth about it, like "runs great" but they might leave out until it gets hot then it has some problems or stuff like that. If you find one on the net just contact that person and see if you can go check it out for yourself and make sure it would be ok if you could take it for a test ride 1st and make sure you warm it up real good and listen to the motor to make sure that it isn't making any odd noises then make your decision and the person might take it off the net and have you buy it right there. thats what I did anyways, but never just buy it off the net make sure it runs and runs good before you put any money on it

Old 10-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I wouldn't buy off the net without checking out the quad 1st. You just never know the persone could not be telling the whole truth about it, like "runs great" but they might leave out until it gets hot then it has some problems or stuff like that. If you find one on the net just contact that person and see if you can go check it out for yourself and make sure it would be ok if you could take it for a test ride 1st and make sure you warm it up real good and listen to the motor to make sure that it isn't making any odd noises then make your decision and the person might take it off the net and have you buy it right there. thats what I did anyways, but never just buy it off the net make sure it runs and runs good before you put any money on it
The man is giving you VERY good advice............I would take it.
BTW, the first one is going to go way more than $2,275.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

If they are close enough to you contact the seller and see if you can take a look at it and check the vin and make sure there is a title and if everything checks out alright like proof its not stolen and it actually works fine then go ahead and buy it otherwise don't waste your time with buying offline...in this day of age almost no one can be trusted

Old 10-22-2006, 04:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well the plan was to win the auction, then drive there cash in hand. I wouldn't pay for it via paypal / transfer etc. if my life depended on it. But there's no way for me to test drive it first since he's 3 hours away and I'm not sure if he would take down the auction, and for what price. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know how it goes by the beginnning of next week, hopefully by then my questions won't involve buying a quad, it's be modding and maintaining my quad. I haven't been this excited in a while, I can't wait to own one finaly.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY, I won the first auction for 2,650, drove there today, picked it up, and it is BEAUTIFUL! My first ride on a four wheeler, and it was pure ecstasy. Thanks for all of your advice!

Old 10-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Congrats on the new quad!!! Sounds like a great quad for a great price. Have fun and be safe!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: musiq021
GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY, I won the first auction for 2,650, drove there today, picked it up, and it is BEAUTIFUL! My first ride on a four wheeler, and it was pure ecstasy. Thanks for all of your advice!
Congrats, you picked the one I would have.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

And advice to anyone buying a quad off ebay. Anytime I buy something with a motor off ebay I never pay a dime over the net, I tell them I will bring cash when I go to pick it up. If it isn't what they said it was, walk away with your cash.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

One time I was looking at a motorcycle on ebay, told the guy I would drive to pick it up. Long story short he kept coming up with excuses on why I couldnt pick it up and he would ship it, I reported the theif to ebay.