Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

what size rim for....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what size rim for....

Dumb question.....What size rim should I run with a 20x11x9 tire? I went out to rockymountain's website and tried building a tire and rim package but the rim sizes all seem to be 9x9 or 9x8. Wouldn't a 9x9 wheel mean that it's 9in. tall x 9in. wide? If I want to run a 20x11x9 don't I need an 11x9 wheel? I'm friggin confused. Also, can anyone recommend a good axle/hubs? Thanks!

Old 10-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

You will want a 9 in rim which they suggested...first of all what quad are we talking about for the hubs and axles...here are a few good names and I will let you choose what you like best...Lonestar,durablue,dominatorand the list goes on if you get back to me what kind of quad I will give you some pics and such...You want hubs for the sprocket and brake also I am guessing and for the rims front and back...Check out these companies for rims before you get them from rocky(omf,itp,douglas)I don't think they list omf on the rocky website...and get the rim depending on if you are jumping you will want a thicker rim.190 rim...Where at in philly are you I am in marlton philly is about maybe 30 mins away...Man how about those flyers making all of those moves and I forgot EAGLES!!!! I am guessing its your 400 ex but can't be too sure so let me know if I was right.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer

yep you're right it's for the 04 400ex. Here's the problem.....I noticed my right rear wheel is wobbling. I looked at the rim and noticed a big dent right near the bead and thought that might be my problem which is why I asked about the axle and ****. I'm not sure what's going on back there as of yet but I know I need new rims so I might as well get some new tires while I'm at it. I have another post about the wheel wobble and some guys kindly replied with some ways to go about checking whether it's the axle or the wheel so I need to do that this weekend. If it is the axle do you recommend taking it to the shop to have it done? I'll try just about anything I'm just not the best mechanic in the world. If I buy a new axle do I need new hubs and **** or can I reuse the stock ones? I know about the rim thickness I just need to know what size rim for a 20x11x9 or would you recommed a bigger tire for trail riding? Your help is greatly appreciated as I'm fairly new to the atv game. I'm a lifetime bmx'er so I should adapt well. I'm not too far from Franklin Mills mall if you know where that is in Philly but I own a place in the MTNs. which is where I store/ride my quad. Flyers? UGGGGHHHHH! Actually glad to see clarky gone but I liked Hitch. There has to be something more to it that they aren't telling us. Eagles.........when I was a kid, around 6 or 7 yrs. old I remember my dad telling me that there are only two important games all year, the cowboys and if we win those two everything else is gravy. I'm a die hard and sundays are an emotional roller coaster for me. I could fill this page with Eagle banter but I'll just say this.....we should be 7-0. Thanks for your help bro!

Old 10-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Yea no prob...What I would do since you are getting new rims and stuff anyhow I would recommend either 20 in razr's or 20 in holeshots if you are using them for trails riding I love having them for my quads...If you are hitting jumps I would prob get beadlocks as they are reinforced and won't bend up as easy...For the axle it is very simple most likely if your rim is bent the axle is bent also so jack the quad up off of the ground take the tires off of the rear and tunr the rear seeing if it is bent ...if it wobbles and the axle is bent then you can either get an aftermarket axle(durable,g force,lonestar,dominator) or you can go with the stock...Now the hubs you have now should be fine to use with a different axle but before ordering an aftermarket axle check to make sure that way you won't have to buy hubs also...Now if you are switching out the axle what you will want to do is take the front sprocket off first that way you can slip the chain off of the rear sprocket unless you have the tools to take the chain apart...so put on the parking brake and loosen the bolt(s) on the front sprocket...then take the rear wheels off then the hubs for the wheels...with the brake still on you will want to loosen up the axle nut that will be on the side with the brake and once you have it loose take the rear brake caliper off...with the axle loosened up alot the axle nut there will prob be a ring inside the axle nut take that out and the brake hub, axle nut and caliper should all slide off...then take the axle and slide it through the carrier...the rear sprocket and hub won't come off until you get the axle out...with the axle out inspect the carrier, bearings, and seals making sure they are in good shape and if they are repack the bearings with heavy duty grease before reasembling the rear...now the sprocket hub may not come off so you will either need to heat it and beat it with a hammer, beat it with a hammer without heat, or get it pressed off... now is a good time to check to see if your chain and sprockets are in good shape if the teeth on your sprockets almost or do come into points then it is time for a new chain and sprocket front and back...reasebmilng the rear is pretty much the same as taking it apart but make sure that everything is tight by using the axle nut to tighten the rear and once you get everything back onto the axle put it on the ground and move the quad side to side maiing sure there isn't any play and also jack it up and let the quad run through the gears making sure you won't eat up the bearings...I know this is alot but it is actually pretty simple if you ahve any ?'s r probs let me kno its better to just do it yourself instead of paying alot of money...If you are going to a dealer though I would recommend East Coast cycle center so far they have been good to me and thats where I get all of my parts.
Brett

Old 10-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Trailblazer

whew......that's a lot to swallow! Souns pretty straight forward but once you get into it you're bound to run into some friggin' problem. I'm gonna check the wobble thing this weekend so I'll let ya know how I make out. Thanks for your time and input and if you're ever looking to ride the poconos drop me a line.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

Aight lol yea its alot but its not difficult just look over it and stuff I wanted to go up to the poconos maybe when I get an outty 800 or another ute but I will let ya know thanks for the offer hope you make out fine