Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher hard to shift when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006 | 10:14 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher hard to shift when cold?

My 2006 Rancher TRX350TM is VERY hard (nearly impossible) to shift when the engine is cold. The dealer says I need to let the unit warm for about 10 minutes before using it. Since my warranty is about to expire I just wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing this problem? From N to 1st is ok but 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and so on is tough!! Do you think I should bring it back and have it checked out or is this common in them?

Old 11-21-2006 | 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

My 05 is the same way. I start off in 2nd gear most of the time and before it warms up, I have to dang near come to a stop in order to up-shift. Once it warms up, no problems.

My only complaint is that the choke **** won't stay out. When starting the machine, I have to hold out the choke **** or it will slowly retract. Does yours do this?

Old 11-21-2006 | 10:20 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Sure wouldn't hurt to adjust the clutch. Instructions are in your owner's manual.

When mine were new they shifted hard, but loosened up with time. If it is about to go off warranty, I assume that it is about a year old. Seems like it would loosen up by now.

Now that the weather is turning colder, are you running a winter weight oil????

Old 11-21-2006 | 10:45 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

The unit is 6 months old. I haven't changed the oil weight for winter conditions. I don't think the temps have been below the rancge given in the manual for the weight I'm using. I am using the Honda brand oil as they recommend. I figured if it were a clutch problem it would continue to be problematic even after warming up. Once this thing has run for awhile it is fine.

My choke does retract on it own. I saw a thread in here regarding that exact problem. One person said that there is an adjusting nut under the rubber boot that may need to be tightened.

Old 11-21-2006 | 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

before i wrecked my '04, it was hard to shift when the engine was cold, seemed like the first shift from 1st to 2nd was almost impossible. Then after I went through the gears down the road, then it was fine.

my choke **** didnt retract by itself though, it should stay out until you push it back in. like the previous post- there might be a jam nut under the rubber boot, you could check that out.

Old 11-21-2006 | 02:07 PM
Red Rider

The fact that it improves after it has run a while, suggest to me that the clutch pack is just sticking together when the quad sits, and it looses up after a little riding???????????

Old 11-21-2006 | 05:34 PM
Trailblazer

I'll agree with reconranger, your clutch sounds sticky. After the oil warms up and circulates through the clutch plates for a while they tend to loosen up a little, this can account for your problem going away when the engine warms up.

Old 11-21-2006 | 05:46 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Is the Honda recommend oil synthetic? On my old Yamaha Big Bear the shifting was stiff but once I switched to synthetic it shifted as smooth as could be.

Old 11-21-2006 | 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also have a 2006 Rancher (mine is about 3 months old) I also noticed it was a little hard to shift when cold from 1st to 2nd but once it warmed just a little I did not noticed it. I just recently did the first oil change and put Mobil 1 fully synthenic MC oil in it. After reading the post I now realize that I have not noticed the hard shift anymore, so maybee the syntheic oil or the break in helped. I will add that I am very pleased with my Rancher 4x4 foot shift I think simpler is often better.

Old 11-21-2006 | 06:51 PM
Red Rider

Here is what I would try: Maybe try running some Honda HP4M (with moly), just for a short time (NOT something you would normally want to do). The moly might loosen up the sticky clutch plates. I would only use it for a short time though, like maybe do a 30 minute ride where you will do lots of shifting, then immediately replace the oil. I personally recommend Maxima Extra ester synthetic, but any motorcycle specific API SG/JASO MA oil will be a descent choice.

Actually, HP4M won't kill a clutch. Back years ago when it first came out, it had the same bottle color as the regular HP4. I bought the M (they didn't even call it M back then), not realizing what it was. All that identified it as containing moly, was some little printing on the label in rather small letters. I actually ran it in my 300EX for one oil change, and it didn't make a bit of difference to the clutch.

Quick Reply: Rancher hard to shift when cold?