Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Smokin recon

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smokin recon

me again with a Recon problem,.....those of you that know the story,..i bought a used 00 recon that had been setting since 04. I cleaned carb, gas tank, added sea-foam to the gas. Well it smoked alittle when i first cranked it. I thought it would stop after running it for a while. It's still smoking, not bad. I son was riding over the weekend and i noticed sometimes it was smoking and sometimes it wasn't. This makes me scratch my head. I took the cover of the air box and there is some blow-by oil in the air box. I took the spark-plug out and it had oil on it. I had a Ford truck once that the cv valve was stoped up and it made it smoke like a train, replaced cv valve and no smoke. Any Ideas guys?

worst case,...........how much do look to spend on a ring job,.....

back on the carb,....would the smoke be coming from too rich a mix(prob not since i got oil on the plug),.....I never have to choke the thing to crank it,...at deer camp on a 30/40 degree morning i just touch the starter and it fires, every time, just wondering.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default Smokin recon

maybe valve guide seals are dry rotted be the onlt thing i can think of

Old 11-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer
Default Smokin recon

Are you getting smoke in the crankcase? Shut the engine off, remove the oil dipstick, bump the engine over but don't start. Does it blow smoke out of the fill hole? If so, you are getting blow-by past the rings. Rebuilding the top end is not that hard. The very minimum you might need is a gasket set ($40) and rings ($25). Piston is about $56. You can get oversize pistons if you need to bore the cylinder. A new cylinder will run you about $311. The valve guide seals could be leaking like bubba said. They are about $5 each. You need an overhead valve spring compressor to change them out.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Smokin recon

thanks for the 411,....may be the seals hadn't thought of that. Hard to believe that a 00 Honda needing rings, the guy said he kept the oil changed but he did say he used it alot before the rear end went out. The right side dust seal went out and he didn't know it and then the bearing then the other seals letting water in the rear end and rusted the splines off the axle. Clymers book will show me how to install those seals. thanks again

Old 11-30-2006, 01:55 AM
Trailblazer
Default Smokin recon

Does it smoke when you give it gas or when you let off the throttle. If it smokes when you let off the throttle then it might be valve guide seals as noted above by bubba1969. If it smokes when your on the gas, it could be rings.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Smokin recon

smokes when you really reem on it. Smokes the same if you have to choke it. But it don't smoke all the time. Sometimes just running around in the yard it starts smoking and will smoke just a puff then will stop. May Just get the top end rebuilt. I was looking at the engine, don't it have a jug top end? Where it slides off then you can take the piston of the rod? I don't have a Clymers manual yet. Maybe Santa will bring one?

I maybe opening a can of worms among you Honda owners but what do you think of these China made ATV's you see all over the net and at every corner store? kids asking Santa to bring a handfull of them.