Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foreman S and Rubicon rear brake lever adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreman S and Rubicon rear brake lever adjustment

Guys I hope someone can help me out. I have both a 2004 Honda Foreman S and a 2005 Rubicon. On both machines the the left brake lever needs to be adjusted. I can use the foot pedal and the brakes work fine, even to the point of locking up if pushed very hard. However when I use the front left lever both machines will only lightly apply the brakes. If applying the parking brake on much of an incline it will not even keep the wheels from rolling.

I hope this is just not a characteristic of Honda ATV's. These are the first Honda's I have ever owned, and with this exception I have been really pleased. I know on the older sport atv's there was a cable adjustment just behind the lever, but on these two machines I have not noticed any cable adjustment. The only adjustments I have noticed is the one on the rear underside of the machine near the axle. This tighten the entire brake, and like I said the pedal works great, I only need to adjust the front lever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have to have to take them in to the stealership for such a simple problem.
Thanks

Old 12-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

you do know that there are 2 wing nuts for adjusting the back brake? 1 for the foot, the other for the hand?

Old 12-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Two wing nuts on the end of the cables(located on the inside of the right rear wheel, where the brake is) one on top of the other, the top one is for the left lever and the bottom one is for the foot peddle. Tighten them up to take the slack out of the cable without tightening them too much. SOunds like you only need to tighten the top one.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Old 12-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys. Apparently I have been having a major brain fart. I know about the two wing nuts, but for some reason I wasn't putting two & two together. Thanks anyways

Old 12-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

shindig, how do you like that foreman? have you ridden an older Rubicon for comparison in ride? Why didn't you go to the Rubi? Simplicity (not that that's a bad thing)? I always thought that reverse ritual for the Foreman would be a pain in the butt for plowing, even if you are used to it. I also ride with Sorels in the winter and found shifting with that big boot a pain.

How about you fedfuzz? Is the newer chassis that much better than the 04?

I want a better ride and it would be more economical (+discs and 2 or 4wd) to upgrade instead of buying $1K shocks. Really like the Rincon (and Grizz700), but I love the Hondamatic on my Rubicon, and also value the price and simplicity of the Foreman.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

propnut, I could have bought a new 04 Rubi at the same time I bought by 05 for about $500 difference. A friend of mine has an 04, and while it is a nice riding 4 wheeler there are major differences. The power between the two feels like they are 2 totally different engines. I guess thats in part to the 04 being fulltime 4wd. Ride is improved also it seems to be more plush in my opinion, and it also seems to steer easier. I have an 04 foreman s, and to me there is little difference between the 04 rubi and it. Don't get me wrong the old body style foreman is a great machine, and I would say it is probably built a little more rugged considering the 05 rubi's have plastic skid plates, and plastic covers over the front bumper.

As for the atv's you are comparing. I am not very big on the Rincon. The power is noticable and nice, and the new Independant suspision is a big improvement over the old straigh axle. But it still does not have an engine brake.
I love the looks and power of the Grizzly, but the last one I rode was an 05, and I was not crazy with the suspension on it. When riding on hard pack ground at a reasonable speed I let off the throttle and it seemed as if the suspension was walking me across the rode. Could have been the machine, but I know other people who rode it and said the same thing.

If I had it to do over, I would have bought the Kawasaki 750 Brute Force. I love my Honda and know its a more durable machine, but it can't hold a light next to the Brute. The power is amazing, ride is very plush, steering is easier, and the locking differential is great. If your thinking about upgrading I highly recommend trying it out. I am actually considering trading my Rubi to one the spring.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey propnut, I guess you can call me old fashioned. I enjoy the standard shift and simplicity of the Foreman S. The solid rear axel allows me to haul heavy loads of wood over rough terrain without causing the bike to squat and get caught in stumps and rocks.

You mentioned about wearing large boots, I also wear a large pair of Baffin's in the winter and a pair of Dunlop Purofort Thermo rubber boots(these boots have a tall sole) in both winter and summer. I was worried that the boots wouldn't fit and if they did I would be straining to get my toe under the shift, but I have no complaints, very comfortable in both.

I don't do any plowing, I may get one for this winter. I can see reversing being a pain in the *** for someone who is doing it a lot but for the amount of time I'd be plowing, I'd manage to deal with it. It definately wouldn't be a factor in my decision of buying.

I find the 2wd/4wd is fantastic, easier on the machine turning on hard pack and pavement and just overall easier to steer. My girlfriend has arthritis in her wrists and hands and finds a world of difference between my foreman and her sisters older fourtrax.

If I was to add anything to my foreman it would be the locking front differential. I enjoy mud and snow and could really use a locker.