Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Got the heebie jeebies

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 06:05 PM
poe
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the heebie jeebies

Little fella, ask your daddy about the 80/20 rule. If you listen (or read in this case) 80% of the time and talk (or post in this case) 20%, then you get a lot smarter. I dont have to have an enormous post count for my responses to be intelligent or valid. It will give you an 80% less chance to stick your foot in your mouth also. Is that Red hornet your middle school mascot?

Old 12-20-2006, 06:09 PM
poe
Weekend Warrior

Okay, Red hornet....Im sorry about the middle school comment.....It is Christmas time and i really shouldnt be so mean. You do have some valid points about the new 300 ex. Sorry for the comment. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

omg your up to 13 now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] congradulations and just outta curiousity what do you ride?

Old 12-20-2006, 06:20 PM
poe
Weekend Warrior

Way back when, (2001) I had a 400ex....a red one. I loved that thing but since, I've gotten into the utility quads. Currently, I have a Foreman 500 4WD and a Yamaha 350 Bruin 4WD. My so has a pretty tricked out 250ex. He's getting a little old for it (14) and wants a new 450 Honda......Santa cant quite get there this yr.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:22 PM
poe
Weekend Warrior

Thats 15 now, pal! I should be getting some recognition now, huh?

Old 12-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RedHornet, I never answered your post, duh to me! I think your model choice is excellent. My son is only 7, I bought him a mini earlier this year to go riding with dad on occasion. It has been fun taking him and showing him the ropes. He is a pretty tentative kid, so the learning curve is longer than I expected. He has only "crashed" once, he started to tip on a newly and irregularly formed tabletop jump and bailed off. The quad never even fully went over, but he did have his pride hurt a bit. He wouldn't ride for an hour or 2, but once I got him back on I couldn't get him back off until it was to dark to see anymore. I told my wife going in that he would crash, it is inevitable. I told her he could very well get hurt and she should expect that to happen from time to time. I can't wait for my daughter to be old enough to ride also. About the only thing I wish I could change would be to pick up a quad more suited for slow speed riding, as mine runs to hot at his speeds. Your kids are older and will be faster sooner. The 400EX is a better mount than mine for that kind of riding. Take the time to learn proper riding techniques and go have a blast with your kids. I would be willing to bet momma is going to want a quad within a year. A Dirtwheels subscription wouldn't hurt, as they always have women riders and family rides in the letters section.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:54 AM
Trailblazer

Great replies guys. Sorry to see some of them go off on a tangent. Well, after deliberation, I have finalized the purchase and am picking them up in a day or so.

Just to clarify, I am not so worried about the injury thing as I am the total committment of so much money and time. I just have to make sure there is a good balance to our life as a whole.

The 250 will likely be outgrown by my oldest and he'll likely step up to a bigger quad or dirtbike and we'll get the wife on that one or keep it for friends.

I guess I just had the typical butterflys before making a 15k purchase.

Thanks for your help. I'll report on the first ride next week.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Congrats Redhornet and have fun! (we know you will)

Old 12-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, a good scenario might be for the 13 year old to later step up to the 400EX, so you can get a 450R! (This kind of logic can work when you explain it to the wife!)

That's what I did with my daughter. She had been on a 300EX, but the garage was getting to full and I needed to sell one of the quads. I was going to sell the 400, but decided to let the 300 go (wish I still had it!) and move her up to the 400. Worked out well!

Old 12-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did the big plunge for my kids ,never regreted it ,now kids are gone and need to sell 2 of them to get my garage back .

2 other points .
have your kids take a safety course 4 hours of your time and cash incentive for you .good deal.

Most parents forget kids learn by what your doing so ride properly and your kids will follow your lead.