Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ATV riding gear - newbie needs some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV riding gear - newbie needs some help

Hey folks, thanks again to all of you who responded to my last thread about the heebie jeebies before buying a couple quads for me an my kids. Well, I took the plunge and are getting ready for my first ride sometime next week (rode motocross for a long time as a kid, so not a total newbie).

Anyway, I see photos of many an ATV rider wearing very little protective gear, usually a helmet and gloves, but basic clothes beyond that. I have two kids (13 and 10 ) that will be riding as well as myself, mainly Ocotillo wells at first, and was wondering what you all suggest beyond a good helmet, goggles and gloves.

I am seriously considering basic MX pants at least, and definitly MX style boots. Is this the norm or are most just too doggone macho to wear all the gear?

Thanks again for your help.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Riders: Along with helmet, gogles, and and gloves, I feel boots and a chest protector are "essential minimum gear". MX pants will save you from getting all scraped up in a crash, along with maybe a kidney belt and elbow and knee pads to save those vulnerable areas.

Quad: Nerf bars on the quads will save your leg some day......these are an absolutely essential safety item! (If you don't have nerfs, absolutely DO NOT ride without proper MX boots!) Other things that you will want to do to the quad will be full chassis and swingarm skid plates, and bumpers (protect your investment!). And an IMS Desert Fuel Tank (5.3 gallons on my 400EX!) can save you a long walk home someday.

And like I said in your other post, the stock tires are lame on the 250's. (I see this as a safety issue, because the tires are round and balooney, and make the quad a bit tippy.) The stock tires on the 400 are good handling, but might not hold up to a lot of hard desert riding.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:24 AM
Red Rider

And......if you are planning to get to Ocotillo from Murrieta going over the mountains, note this road closure starting Jan 3: http://dot.ca.gov/dist11/images/SR78ad.pdf

Some tips on how to protect your large investment (get the kids and wife out in the garage wrenching!):

Some advice on how to break in your new quads: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm And, do an engine oil and filter change (the 250's don't have filters) and rear diff oil changes on the 250's, after 1 hour of break in riding. This will get any metal shavings out, that may be left behind. (Hondas do come very clean from the factory, but why take a chance).

Some good basic oil info (I am a biochemist, and very interested in the chemisty of oils.): http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm Just for the record, my favorite oil is Maxima Extra an ester synthetic. http://www.maximausa.com/ (Note, use a basic petroleum oil like Honda GN4 or Maxima Premium during break in, then you can switch to a synthetic if you so choose.)

Let's see, and your are going to need a $40,000 Weekend Warrior toy hauler trailer (wife will like that!) and a $50,000 truck to pull it and............

Old 12-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Red Rider

And, one more very important safety issue: http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...eyword1=safety

The 250 will ROLL BACKWARD EVEN WHEN IN GEAR with the engine off. You have to drill your kids on this one! If they don't make a hill, they will have to find the brakes....it's not like a fully manual clutch quad where you can just stall it in gear and the compression will hold you on the hill. This is one reason why I suggested the 300EX for your older kid.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer

Funny thing about those tires on the 250, they ARE balloony. They one on the floor next to the 400 and what a difference. I may get them to swap em for some better tires before I bring them home.

First month or so my kids will be crusing but I'm sure they'll test the limits as soon as they can.

How old are your kids that ride the 250's?

Originally posted by: reconranger
Riders: Along with helmet, gogles, and and gloves, I feel boots and a chest protector are "essential minimum gear". MX pants will save you from getting all scraped up in a crash, along with maybe a kidney belt and elbow and knee pads to save those vulnerable areas.

Quad: Nerf bars on the quads will save your leg some day......these are an absolutely essential safety item! (If you don't have nerfs, absolutely DO NOT ride without proper MX boots!) Other things that you will want to do to the quad will be full chassis and swingarm skid plates, and bumpers (protect your investment!). And an IMS Desert Fuel Tank (5.3 gallons on my 400EX!) can save you a long walk home someday.

And like I said in your other post, the stock tires are lame on the 250's. (I see this as a safety issue, because the tires are round and balooney, and make the quad a bit tippy.) The stock tires on the 400 are good handling, but might not hold up to a lot of hard desert riding.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

Other great info guys, especially on the 250 and the lack of a real clutch. I expect the 13 year old will outgrow it by the end of the season. The plan is to keep the 250 for friends and get him either a bigger quad or a dirtbike, if he's ready. That way the wife will have something to ride.

As for the toy hauler, that is the next plan but $40K? I don't think my f-150 will pull that big of a hauler. I am buying an inexpensive trailer that will get me until next year when I do plan to buy whatever my truck can tow, likely something under 26 ft.

As for the road closure, I can get to Ocotillo through Borrego Springs without hitting the closure. Juts takes a bit longer and you have to travel Montezuma Rd. We'll get there or head north to Stoddard Wells.

Any other good beginner areas nearby?