Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Getting ready to buy, got the heebie jeebies

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to buy, got the heebie jeebies

Hey folks, new to the board but been looking here for a while. I'm just getting ready to by a 400ex for me and (2) 250ex's for my boys 13 and 11. I guess I've got the heebie jeebies a bit partly because of the expense, partly because I know its a big committment and partly because if I bring one of the boys home hurt, my wife will kill me.

I rode dirtbikes as a kid and broke a couple bones and got a few stitches but I was that kind of kid. Now that it's my boys (and my marital happiness) it's a different story. I live in So Cal so there is plenty of place to ride an hour or so away so that's not a problem, I guess I just need a push over the edge.

I'd like to hear from someone who took the plunge maybe recently or a few years ago and what your opinion is of the whole experience with quads.

Would you do it again? What would you do differently? What type pf terrain is your favorite? Any major injuries among your kids?

Thanks for any replies.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

i have had more than a dozzen of these things 2,3 and 4 wheeled.i never cared if i got hurt i never thaught about it. i get hurt all the time on these damn things.never a broken bone but plenty beat up and bloody at times,pulled sprained .you know how it is.

now anyway, i just got my very young son a little chinese 4 wheeler and it scares the crap out of me to see him ripping around the little dude is good man ,but i know he will get hurt sooner or later . hopefully not any broken bones. i do all i can to keep him relitivly safe,riding gear and the throtel set sort of low.clearing junk out of his way,and giving him lots of riding advice while he is out there doing it.

but lets face it the kid is going to crash. not crashing doesent make you a good rider. you just keep pushing your luck and then bang it happpens.

i could not live with myself if my son went out and died on the thing. but i think we will be ok if he just gets hurt some on it, who doesent get hurt on the dang things . i dont think he will be in a wheel chair or in a coffin .if i did i would never of baught the thing. but some cool scars we can do.

so go get them bikes man. and dont forget about the old lady she needs one to.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

Riding ATVs is one of the best ways to connect with your kids. It gives you more time with them, a chance to teach them things because they will see the old man is still pretty cool and it is a blast to just be riding. I have two boys, 17 and 8, the oldest will go with us now and then. We had a couple of years of riding before he discovered other things, AKA girls. The 8 year old can ride real good and will go at the drop of a helmet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] He has wrecked but that is the way you learn. A busted lip is the worst he has had - broke his arm on the playground at school in Oct. Just got his cast off last week and looking forward to our big new year's eve ride. Help them enjoy their youth and train them to be young men. Oh and have some fun before we get too old. LET'S RIDE

Old 12-19-2006, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

Great encouragement guys. I guess I'm not so worried about them getting hurt, that's part of being a kid. I guessi ts the whole committment thing, need to make sure this is going to fit in between soccer and school and cross country and wifes needs, you know what I mean?

Well, I am going for it tomorrow, need to have them under the tree so to speak. It will definitely bring back memories as a kid, because that's all i did.

My dad was drunk most of the time but he always made sure I had a bike to ride and somebody to ride with. I will always remember that. I hope my kids will remember what I taught them too.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a big expense, but I don't know any kid and very few adults that didn't like riding once they were on a machine. The time spent with your kids is what really counts. I have a hard time fitting everything in and can't ride as much as I like, but maybe that will change when my daughter gets old enough to have her own and I finally talk the wife into something for her too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

First thing I would highly recommend is the three of you take a riders safety course ASAP, you will get some basic training and knowledge. Then it is up to you to set the example, your kids will watch everything you do and learn from your actions. Play follow the leader so they can learn from watching you then let them lead so you can watch them and give advise or corrections when needed. Teach them to always be on the lookout for approaching hazzards, look through corners when trail riding for other riders coming at you or trail obstacles. Hill climbing is a big problem for a lot of riders, if you can't fairly easily walk up the hill don't try to ride up it.
Just start out slow and easy and slowly progress, that will go a long way toward avoiding injury and make for an enjoyable experience for all involved.....