Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rancher 420 need advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rancher 420 need advice?

hey guys stopped by the honda dealership today and looked at the 07 rancher 420 got some questions maybe someone can help me out with, all my quads are yamahas so the esp shifting i know nothing about is this system dependable? seems like when you have to rely on an electric system any number of problems can occur, really like the quad and want to get one dont like the 24 inch tires tho whats the biggest size that would fit the rancher? really like the liquid cooling and the efi and honda makes a very good engine has alot of my buddies have them and they all have nothing bad to say about the engine. looking at the quad today seems like it was alittle low on ground clearance compared to my other quads but no big deal, any advice on the rancher would be great, i had intended to pick up a 07 grizzly 450 till i looked at the new 420 rancher and i cant decide. thanks for the help

Old 12-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We haven't seen any rider reviews yet either in here or in the magazines, so the machine is a complete unknown so far. If you get one, post your review here: http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/507912.cfm

I have to say the all my quads are Hondas, and most are the first year of production (the Rancher and 250EX are the first ones that my dealer ever got in!). I know everybody says to never buy the first year of any vehicle, but I have never regreted it. Honda works out the bugs better than anybody, and there will probably be a new 420 in my garage any day now!

My only complaint is that it is heavier than I would like (all utes are way heavier than I like!), and like most every stock quad on the plantet the tires and rims need to be replaces with some light allowy rims and light modern radials.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Red Rider

Forgot about the ES. Personally, I like to keep it simple and shift with my foot.....one less system to have a problem. I do like the idea though, especially for beginners. There are lots of post in here from folks who have had problems with their's, and then there are other who will claim it is the best thing since sex.

The angle sensors on some ES models are currently the subject of a recall, but hopefully the problem units have been eliminated from the newer models.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with reconranger on this as I personally feel that electronics have no place on a machine that will be put through mud and water.
You can eliminate problems I guess by sealing your electrical system. I guess Honda has a reason for stating in their owners manual not to go through water above the floorboards. At least that's what it says in my 05 Rancher manual.

Murphys law more or less states that if a part is going to fail on a motorized vehicle, it will when farthest from home.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

the important thing about the es system though is that it wont leave you stranded, Honda includes the emergency shifter lever in the tool kit so you can at least get it into the proper gear and drive home. I've never had a problem with my ES, and I've done about the worst to my machine as far as mud, water ,etc. It's pretty much hit or miss on these. They do seem better now than the earlier years, the angle sensor seems to be the most common problem on this system, and, as stated before, is the subject of a recall right now for a lot of the quads. Hopefully honda is building this new machine with the new part so system failure will be a minimal.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Red Rider

Dealer got a couple in, so I went to take a look. My opinion is that they are Eiger UGLY, but that won't keep me from getting one if the performance is good.

Funny that they are already at the dealers, and we haven't seen even a single review anywhere..............

Old 12-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Range Rover

thanks guys for the advice i to would like to see a review on them hopefully soon, with the esp shift and fuel injection i would think this rig should have plenty of power, throw in liquid cooling and im thinking this is gonna be a good quad i can live with the straight axle all i ever had anyway and dont mind them alot like the irs but never had one so dosent matter much. was wondering whats the biggest size tire setup i could run on the rancher? any and all advice on the rancher is appreciated. thanks guys.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

nice 200 tri moto pic slowneasy.......that's what I strarted on.....went from 3 wheels, then 2, then 4

Old 06-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by slowneasy
hey guys stopped by the honda dealership today and looked at the 07 rancher 420 got some questions maybe someone can help me out with, all my quads are yamahas so the esp shifting i know nothing about is this system dependable? seems like when you have to rely on an electric system any number of problems can occur, really like the quad and want to get one dont like the 24 inch tires tho whats the biggest size that would fit the rancher? really like the liquid cooling and the efi and honda makes a very good engine has alot of my buddies have them and they all have nothing bad to say about the engine. looking at the quad today seems like it was alittle low on ground clearance compared to my other quads but no big deal, any advice on the rancher would be great, i had intended to pick up a 07 grizzly 450 till i looked at the new 420 rancher and i cant decide. thanks for the help
if you ever have a esp problem 99% of the time it is whats called an angle sensor. its on the back of the motor but, believe it or not, i have an esp rancher and the esp is very dependable. i think it is just about as good as the foot shift. after i got my angle sensor replaced, the shifting was very quick and it ran like a beast