Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rincon Questions

Yeah, I really wish Honda would come out with one with low range and a locker... Bone headed...

Off topic, how do you like your Outlander so far? That's another machine (not the Max) that has my eye.

I'm kind of leaning away from the Outlander, though. They are just so high priced, and no manual locker, but it's the linked brakes that I think would really drive me nuts...

Old 01-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rincon Questions

JeffinTD, another gear (like the Foreman 1st) would be great addition to the Rincon. but...Traxlock, contrary to the misinformation here, is the 2WD to 4WD switch, not the front differential. Chilly, I don't believe your front differential works the same as the newer ones. Don't worry about not having a locker, you can sit back and watch the tough guys with lockers get themselves into situations they soon regret (because they think they're invincible with that locker). I was intrigued by the visco, but it is not a locker either. The more I see it (not) work, the more I lose interest in having one. I don't happen to ride on a platform with rollers, does anyone (but BRP marketing)? You must slip a wheel before the visco starts to act, not so with the torsen. By then you just might be stuck. When all out traction is most important, visco and torsen both have a handicap to a locker. If you have zero traction on one wheel, you transfer zero power to the other with the torsen. JeffinTD, you have a torsen and chances are you've put yourself in situations that result in obvious 4 wheel drive. The fact here is, except for mud and extreme articulation, torsen is better than both most of the time. I think the Grizzly 700 has the advantage over all of them here when it comes to all out usable traction (PS&locker). However, if you are not a mudder it isn't as big of a deal as some make it out to be. And I don't know about where you ride, but mudders are going to be the end of riding areas for us, Savoy State Forest in Mass. was closed because the greenies were able to use mudding footage from the forest (that a few of the moronic mudders posted on their web site) to convince the Legislature how ATVs were ruining the forest. RIDING AREA CLOSED! Thanks mudders! Cool video man!

Brakes? Why did they return the front brakes to the wheels on the Renegade? Hmmm. Anyone that brings up drum brakes when someone is talking about buying a new Rincon just lacks the integrity to be believed. Triple discs. Leave it. (by the way, 2+ years and my drums are still working fine)

Young company, funky look, linked brakes, OTD price (I can get a Rincon 680 or Grizzly 700 for less than an Outty 500 around here), and belt drive are the biggest BRP turn offs for me. You just gave up some control of your brakes and how you put power to the ground. And that big stupid belt housing taking up half of my foot peg, what's up with that? Not sure how that spar frame is going to pan out in rocky country too. Features are a security blanket for under skilled riders. The ATV is only half the package and I guess some need all the help they can get.

What feature does the Outty have that the Rincon does not? Neither have lockers. They are both EFI. They both have discs. They both have automatics (although very different). Low range and excess power/heat is just about it. Are you going to be logging with it? Towing more than what the ATV was rated to tow (stupid)? Sled pulls? Drag racing? Rincon has the best chassis of any 4X4 ATV I've ridden, that means a lot to me, maybe not to others. A lot easier to add a locker than make a pig (not being specific here) handle well. By some folks reasoning here we should all be driving BF650s.

You are always going to have a certain percentage of owners that are not happy with their purchase. The trick is to weed through the constructive ones that have a point and the ones that have an axe to grind. Good luck deciding. Just don't fool yourself into thinking the Rincon is something it isn't or that it is going to make you a better rider. Rincon may not be what you want if having the best engine braking or the most useless power is important to you (do you know how to use split brakes?) Chilly is right, ride one first if at all possible.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rincon Questions

Actually, it's been the steep, loose dirt and rock climbs that I find I wish I had a locker. Mine will sometimes spin 3 tires, until they have dug themselves into holes, then spin the 4th tire...

Old 01-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rincon Questions

I agree and qualified that, most of the time, not all of the time.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rincon Questions

Dont be mislead into believing one word of what Propnut states in regards to the Torque Sensing front diff on even the NEW Rincon, once again, its nothing more than a FANCY marketing scheme by Honda and is not much better than their old 3wd diff,especially after six months of use. By contrary, the Visco Lock on the Can Am is a good front locking diff and will out perform Honda's torque sensing diff in a heart beat..The Visco lock stays in 3wd until one wheel in the front spins faster than the other, than the other wheel progressively locks itself to the same speed as the other front side resulting in REAL 4WD on ALL 4 WHEELS. Its a very good system and is NOTHING like Honda's TORQUE SENSING diff [3wd]...

Mudding being the reason why the forests are closed in Mass? BS----The reason why forests get shut down is because of the LACK of involvement from ATV and off road users in your State. You guys sit on your azz and do NOTHING to organize fights against these greenies who close you down and now you blame it on the MUDDERS on ATVs? Get yourself and all your buddies ORGANIZED [start a club] and put up a fight against these a-holes instead of sitting by the wayside and blaming others for these closers. We had the SAME BS here in Michigan--but we [clubs] FOUGHT BACK and are actually GAINING more areas to ride.The GREENIES KNOW that we are watching them and are ready to FIGHT,,The same cannot be said for YOUR State!

And just because someone has two plus years on their DRUM brakes without touching them is nothing more than an indication to me that the operator does not ride in the thick mud/water.. ANYONE that has the experience behind them with drum style brakes and mud/water, will tell you that its a POOR set-up and to stray away from them for that type of use.

Features are for unskilled riders? Thats a REAL GOOD ONE! Why dont you call the Mich DNR and ask them WHO the program DIRECTOR is for the Michigan ATV Safety Association??You REALLY shoved your foot in your mouth on that one!--I'll GAUREENTEE you that MY name will show up!

There is very little to compare when talking about the Rincon and the Can Am 800. The Rincon lacks wheel speed to conquer some of the heavier loose packed sandy and steeper hills. It further lacks the low end needed for a beast of 680cc. It has the worst low end of ANY 4x4 ATV in the 700cc range. It also is a hazard on steep downhill grades with the lack of any real engine braking while descending.After OWNING a Rincon for two years, I will say that its a nice trail rider, but than again, so is my DODGE pick up...

If all you want to do is zip thru the woods with some comfort and not worry about the OTHER things that make up an 'all around' nice 4x4 ATV, than the Rincon could be for YOU!

Old 01-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rincon Questions

riding, writing, and talking are three different things. you aren't good at any.

director of safety and good rider are not interdependent. you need your crutches, or features.

visco does not lock all 4 like a locker. first it has to slip to work. then when you have both at the same speed your differential disappears and it goes back to 3wd. so it takes a loss of traction to get it to work again. Single lever brakes with a fixed bias are more of a hazard on severe downhills than no engine braking, Mr. Safety Expert.

you are the one talking out your thingy. the condition of the trails, mostly caused by mudders, are the reason Savoy is closed. It's not the mountain bikers damage, or the dirt bike damage, but the ATVers who seek out mud and dig the holes deeper.

mudders are NOT the ones out there maintaining trails, they are out there destroying trails. Looking for puddles and turning them into pits. Should I be fixing their selfish damage? I refuse and if that means the trails get closed, don't blame me, blame the mudders. I'll go back to riding an XR with a DP kit. I am a riding enthusiast, not an ATV enthusiast.

I have to fight with the greenies, the mudders that tear up the trail, the kids that put loud pipes on, the mountain bikers, hikers.......BS. Maybe I can start hauling out loads of trap rock to fill their holes? BS I will.

here you go from the DCR "Due to public safety concerns and increasing environmental impacts from off-road vehicles (ORVs) and other motorized uses on the trails of the Savoy Mountain State Forest, the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) will not reopen the state forest to motorized trail use this year.

DCR made this decision after determining that continued motorized vehicle use in the Savoy Mountain State Forest would cause severe and irreparable harm to the forest and its trails and would place trail users and park visitors at risk. The evaluation criteria used to make this determination included wetlands conditions and protection, topography and slopes, soil conditions, habitat protection, and public safety."

sorry to take the post over cfwilkins, but you've found the one in twenty that bought the wrong ATV and has an axe to grind.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rincon Questions

Yah,
Michigan TREID the same thing that happended in YOUR State .The BLM [Bureau of Land Management] ---------Forest Service AND the Department of Natural Resources ALL showed pictures of enviromental damage to the NRC [National Resource Commision] that was suppose to be caused by ATVs in the State of Michigan and attemtped trail closers by using this method and a few more lies.

Trouble was, that we Michigan [ORV CLUBS] had PLENTY of our OWN ammunition to use against these guys [UNLIKE you guys in MASS who TOOK the DCR word as GOSPEL].Our Michigan DNR stated FALSE and innacurate accident data against ORV user's that was not even kept or taken by them...The forest service showed photo's that were from 1991 and could not prove that ONE photo of destruction was caused by ATVs. They showed pictures of debree and refridgerators being dumped into the woods [supposedly by ATVers]..We Michigan ATV and dirt bike clubs were ready for them and attended meetings of our own to head off what was TRUTH and what was LIES.The end result was that we still have our trails and we are soon going to have ANOTHER 800 miles of MORE trail. If you guys in Mass want to take the DCRs word as GOSPEL--- than you DESERVE what you get!-PERIOD! We clubs in Michigan aint going to take their shi- and they know it, thats WHY we still have trails to ride and YOU dont!

QUOTE*
riding, writing, and talking are three different things. you aren't good at any.
director of safety and good rider are not interdependent. you need your crutches, or features
END of QUOTE*

Wrong again,
I did'nt become Director of ORV safety because I have not PROVEN my worth as not only an excellant rider, but also one that has proven credentials thru all aspects of ORV safety and skill levels to the folks at the TOP. Something you OBVIOUSLY know little/nothing about!

visco does not lock all 4 like a locker. first it has to slip to work. then when you have both at the same speed your differential disappears and it goes back to 3wd. so it takes a loss of traction to get it to work again
*END of QUOTE

Once again,
your IGNORANCE of the Visco lock is VERY appearant. Once 1 wheel in the front spins faster than the other side, the visco locking pump will progessively [and quickly] kick in the other wheel so that BOTH front wheels spins at the same speed--resulting in ALL 4 wheels locking together. They will NOT unlock until TORQUE has been released and this means getting off the throttle. So as long as you stay on the throttle and there is torque applied [even after the two front tires spin at the same speed] BOTH front wheels WILL remain LOCKED!

Old 01-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rincon Questions

so, you think that the visco remains "locked" as long as you don't let off the throttle? even when there's no speed differential heating the fluid? that's locked as in right and left wheels turning at the same speed? thanks for setting me straight on that. I always thought viscous couplings were progressive and needed the speed differential to create friction and remain active. What is this pump you are talking about though? Ignorant me! You really dive into the details.

oh, and thanks for uncovering that ATV conspiracy for me. those big pits in the trails were probably caused by a mad beaver, though I don't know how we can prove it. All we have to do is demand the state give us some of our registration and sales tax money to fix the wildlife damage. We're all just a bunch of idiots I guess. I don't know what people are complaining about. I was just jumping on the band wagon. I do know we didn't have this much trouble before ATVs.

we're screwed. I get closer to selling and buying a bike and snowblower every time I read something you write.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rincon Questions

We have a 650 and a 680 Rincon, a Bomb 800, a Suzuki Vinson, and a BF650 in our main riding group. I love the sound of the V twin motors. The power is great! But my Fancy marketing scheme has pulled them out or driven by them in mud or rocks as much or more than they have me. And they are not the least bit upset about it. We just like to ride.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rincon Questions

I am not trying to disrupt your Honda forum with me being an Arctic Cat guy, but I will tell you from experience that having the ability to lock the front differential is dang nice. Not saying go buy an Arctic Cat, but consider an ATV with that option. You may hardly ever use it, but it is nice to have in case you do. When I engage mine, it is amazing how much traction you have when all four wheels have equal power. I have uprooted stumps that would normally take a small traction to get out. Could'nt have done it without the locker. My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Rincon Questions