Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex starter relay switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex starter relay switch?

I have been having some trouble w/ my quad trying to start. Once in a while, when I hit the start button, it will just make a "ticking sound." This has just recently started since it has gotten really cold and I have been doing some riding in the snow. Could this be due to moister getting under the rubber cap? It still has the stock battery (2000) on it. To remedy the problem, I just bang on it a bit and then it will fire right up again so not a huge issue. Has anyone else experienced something similar? If i have to replace the assembly, how much would it cost? I would probably replace the battery too. Thanks for your time.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Well are any of the wires loose(battery,ground,starter relay) and what do you bang on and it fires right up? Because if you hit the battery and it fires right up then I would say there is a loose wire or it is time to replace the battery...Take a multimeter and check the voltage coming out of the battery, it should be atleast 12 + and have you gotten ice on the connection which will create a bad connection for the current to travel.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer

I did a brief check of all connections and everything seemed to be in order. I hit the selenoid a few times and that always seems to do the trick. I really don't know how long an atv battery lasts but I am assuming they are about the same as a car? If that is the case, it is probably about time to replace it. I was doing some checking on ebay and they have new selenoids for about $30 or so. I would replace both battery and selenoid and recheck all the wiring. I was just wondering if anyone else has had such a problem. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

yep no problem and if you do get yourself a battery I would recommend a battery tender those things are awesome and keep the battery charged without you having to worry about is it the right voltage and it will prolong the life of the battery also.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If the solenoid is clicking then there shouldnt be a problem with it. Not always the case, but usually if a solenoid goes bad it just stops working. If the solenoid is clicking it is getting power from the battery. The solenoid sends power to the starter, so if the solenoid works, the starter is probably the culprit.

Also note that if you have a dead batter the solenoid will click without turning over the starter motor.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

It very well might be the solenoid. The clicking noise is most likely the solenoid coming on but not sending a current through it to the starter. My 400ex does this exact same thing and this is what I will be replacing this weekend if I'm not able to rebuild it myself. Sometimes the contacts inside corode and need cleaning.