Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Make it louder

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2000, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did NOT promote him to cut off his exhaust, I told him he could UN-BOLT the spark arrestor from the rear of his muffler. It's been shown that it has no affect on horsepower in dyno tests at GT thunder, and will affect the backpressure very little, if any, because the main restriction (the core of the muffler) is still there.

Another thing. If he WERE to cut his muffler off, it would certainly not remove all backpressure. It would still have to breathe through the header pipe. Also, no backpressure will not damage an engine. What CAN damage the engine is cold air getting back up into the engine through the exhaust system, potentially warping the valves. THAT is the danger of straight-pipe exhaust. Dragsters run 2' long pipes directly off the head because they make the most power that way (note: not all engines make more power with less backpressure, it depends on their tune). BUT if you watch them racing, as soon as they shut down the engine they put covers over the pipes to keep the cold air from getting back into the engine.

One last thing, you ARE a jackass, because of the tone of your post. You were NO help at all, the only point of your post was to ridicule love250x. At least _I_ gave him a constructive suggestion. Hasn't your mommy taught you 'if you can't say something nice, don't say it' yet? Or are they waiting until after they get you potey trained? Jerk

Old 12-19-2000, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

just making your quad louder wont make it faster as a rule! also for the guy calling people jackasses i tell you this.... a good rider doesnt need to hear is enguine to let him know when to shift!! it might help but after years of riding and racing i have learned that shifting as weell as braking is all natural!!! i could do it with an electric motor!! there you go jacka@@!!!
ride on!

Old 12-20-2000, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

If you answer this post lets please try not to say dirdy words at each other.When I wrote this I did not mean to turn atvers against atvers.Atving is the best thing in the world in my opinion and everyone who thinks the same should stick together because we may not have it much longer.

Old 12-20-2000, 04:08 PM
Range Rover

Motorhead says that eliminating the backpressure WILL NOT damage the engine, just possibly warp (or crack) the valves. Hmmm, My valves are in the motor, where are yours? The head, as far as I'm concerned is an engine part. Therefore, if he cracks or warps a valve, I'd call it engine damage.
You say I am a jacka$$for not helping at all, while your suggestions were helpful. Like the whole reason I answered as to say, "don't cut off the exhaust" was a bad Idea, compared to your infinate wisdom of heads and valves which, apparently aren't(?) engine parts.
Scroll up, genius, and you'll see that I didn't tell him any bad things about removing his spark-arrestor. I was referring to the few replies that told him to cut it off.

Old 12-20-2000, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

"Motorhead says that eliminating the backpressure WILL NOT damage the engine, just possibly warp (or crack) the valves."

Ok, lemme spell it out for you, and I'll try to use small words so that you'll understand this time. Lack of backpressure will NOT cause damage. Cold air hitting the hot valves WILL cause damage. If you find a way to reduce backpressure without the cold air getting back in to the valves (aftermarket exhaust is a good start), you have nothing to worry about. Why is that so hard to understand?

Old 12-20-2000, 05:04 PM
Range Rover

Eliminating the backpressure BY CUTTING OFF THE MUFFLER will. Turning off an engine creates a sucking action. With half of the exhaust sawed off, it will suck cool air into it, possibly warping or cracking the valves. You don't need to spell anything out for me. 1) because you can't even spell "potty" 2) I'm sure I've been building engines alot longer than you have.

Old 12-20-2000, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

ATVPro ive ridden for 7 years and only wore a helemt about 10 times and ime fine only wrecker once.dont be a jack *** to the guy just because he whats to make his quad louder i think louder souds cool like u have more power or smothen.

Old 12-20-2000, 06:59 PM
Trailblazer

listen here atvpro ive ridden atv's for 7 years and ive only wore a helement maybe 10 times so dont be a jack *** to this guy cuase he whats to make his quad louder i think they sound cool louder.

Old 12-20-2000, 09:02 PM
Range Rover

SHUTUP TURKEY BANGER!!! Motorhead is completely correct in everything he said, by the way Good Posts Motorhead! I ran my old TRX250 utility quad with a cobra headpipe with straightpipe connected to a 1970 Dodge Challenger Exhaust tip, power wasn't improved much but it looked neat and sounded awsome, It ran excellant for two years and then I sold it, I didn't see any engine damage turkey knocker. My 453 make the most power with WB full exhaust, I would highly recomend this exhaust for you love250X, it is the best for power and a sweet sound.

Old 12-21-2000, 05:56 AM
Pro Rider

Its just because everyone has their own opinions about this and that, typical male resonses.

Im male too, dont get that confused, lol, but I'd rather not argue, its pointless.

Quick Reply: Make it louder