Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

84 Honda 250R Engine Removal??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 Honda 250R Engine Removal??

I went out this morning to the garage to start tearing the engine out so I could get it to a friend to get it rebuilt. Well first thing that went wrong was one of the drive sprocket bolts head is rounded!!!! Yippy!! So I worked on that for a couple minutes and couldn't get it so, I moved on to bigger and better things. Followed the instructions in the manual and wow that is for a 81 or 82 or 83!! Even though it says 81-84 on it. There is an engine mount bolt that you can barely get to and when I got the nut off the bolt has no room to slide out b/c the SWINGARM is there?!!!
DO I HAVE TO REMOVE THE WHOLE REAR TO GET THE ENGINE OUT???? Please tell me no!! I thought I would do this so my friend who is currently out of town wouldn't have to waste time w/ it, he could just do the engine. Please HELP!!!! Also any hints on taking the drive sprocket bolt out that is rounded???

Old 04-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

As for the 250r I am not very familiar with the bike, but I am guessing the rear mount goes through the motor and swingarm like my 450r...If you can't get it out by hitting it out I would cut is and order yourself a new one because the 450r ones sometimes give trouble and that is what you need to do in order to get the engine out...As for the sprocket I would take the nut off before taking the whole motor out and if he isn't tearing down the tranny I would leave the sprocket on...If you are taking it off then use some wd40 and let it sit for a little while then put the parking brake on or put it in gear and use an open end and put a pipe on it if needed or put a socket for stripped out nuts and once you break it lose you should be good to go , but use a good sized socket wrench that will have the power to do so.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer

The rear engine mount bolt doesn't go through the swingarm but goes through part of the bracket that holds the suspension spring in place. I can't pound it out b/c only half the bolt will clear the swingarm. If I cut it how do I get the new bolt back in after the engine is rebuilt?? I am sure my friend will know but I wanted to help as much as I could!! Thanks

Old 04-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, I took care of the lower rear engine mount bolt near the swingarm but now the engine is lose but I can't get it out of the frame!! I put the swing arm bolt back in, but do I need to keep it out. I looks like I need about an extra 2 inches and I don't think I am going to get that by leaving the swingarm bolt out??!! The Clymer manual I am going by has me taking the entire clutch assembly out!! So I did. It wasn't hard. The Clutch plates, washers, clutch rod, clutch basket and cover, etc., is all out!! But that might have free'ed up an inch if that!! HELP AGAIN!!! Thanks!!!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

Have you taken off every single bolt that holds the engine in place?...I know on my ds the engine was really tight so when I took the tank off I had to take the top end of the engine and turn it the opposite way that I pulled the bottom out so it was on an angle when I took it out...Have you also taken any lines and disconnected them which might interfear?...there was also a top mount on the motor keeping the top from moving and I am guessing the R will have one also...From looking at pics of one I would try and slide the motor as close forward as I could and try and put it on its side and slide it out that way...I hope some of this will help, if I had it infront of me I could do it, but just aren't very familiar with the setup.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah all the bolts are out! I had a problem with the one that wouldn't slide out b/c the swingarm was in the way. I unbolted the swingarand used a 3/8 drive extension to pound it through. The engine moves freely where it sets in the frame but when it comes to trying to get it out there is no room to work. All wires, cables, etc is disconnected. I need roughly 2 inches of space to get it out. I will try the things you said!! I'll take any help I can get!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!