Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

so pissed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so pissed!!!

So i thought i could do the oil change myself...everything was going smoothely when i went back to tightin up the oil plug and i set the tourquw wrench to 18 ft lbs and i went to tightin it and it was going good and the wrench hasnt clicked yet and all the sudden the bitch stripped out...im so *****in pissed...what should i do no? tap it or will that get to much in the oil pan?

Old 05-31-2007, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default so pissed!!!

go buy the heil coil kit and put one of those in it. easy enough to do. Then go to your dealer and get a new drain plug washer cause I bet it wasn't there.

Oh ya if it's a 350 rancher, you cann't repair those with a heil coil, have to get new crank case halves.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default so pissed!!!

The easiest thing is to get a rubber plug that expands when you tighten a bolt in the center of the plug. It press fits.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default so pissed!!!

why ...i mean WHY,in the world do you need a torgue wrench to tighten a simple drain plug...you screw them in with your fingers then give a quarter inch turn. but you already messed up so do what dbeck said.if that doesn't work retap it.then flush it out with oil to make sure. then never ever do it again.unles your just bored then go for it

Old 05-31-2007, 11:14 AM
Trailblazer
Default so pissed!!!

go to autozone, they have a tool there that will straighten stripped threads just make sure you get the right size. . .no metal shavings to deal with and it works with aluminum.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default so pissed!!!

for one thing, it says to tourque them down to 18 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] another thing brought it in to honda and i guess it nots stripped guess there is some tab in ther or somtin that broke or some **** idk anyone no anythign about that or what?

Old 05-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default so pissed!!!

A torque wrench has its place in working on quads, but I wouldn't rely on it too much.... my 2 cents

Old 05-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default so pissed!!!

I tap the 12mm hole out to 14mm when they are stripped.
Have not had one come back stripped simce I made them bigger

----- Gimpster -----

Old 06-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default so pissed!!!

All I can say is good luck. Apparently it doesnt take much to strip out these. I stripped mine out and tried to retap it with a self taping oil plug. After that didnt work I took it to the dealer. It took them 3 times to get it right and it boiled down to them putting on a rubber washer and a crush washer to get it from leaking. I guess that was cheaper than a new crank case. I am now dreading my next oil change.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default so pissed!!!

Well what I would suggest is going to sears or some place with tools and buying yourself an easy out instead of trying to drill it out and if you can get enough thread you might be able to put on vise grip pliers and turn the rest of the old bolt out...If you can't get it out then I would tru drilling the old one out, tap it and put some oil and a magnet to make sure you get all of the metal shavings out of the bottom of the engine or else it could result to other problems, but don't run it...Get a new crush washer and plug and with the oil plug and tranny plug bolts just tighten them by hand because the torque wrench might not be calibrated and you will be in the same situations again...JMO

Quick Reply: so pissed!!!