Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What to buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 03:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy

I need to get an ATV to use on a hunting lease in south Louisiana. The budget is a little tight on this. I am looking at the 2006 TRX 350 TM or TE. The TM is the manual foot shift, the TE is the electric shift on the handle bars.

The TE is $133.00 more than the TM. It has an odometer, digital speed odometer, and engine hours indicator. It also has an indicator for what gear you are in. These are all nice, but how reliable is the electric shift? My brother had trouble with his 400's ES. Also is there a way to manually shift it if the electric shift goes out? Is there a manual shift pedal that can be used instead of the electric switch?

Ideally I would like all of the gauges with a manual shift, but they don't come like that.

Lastly, how reliable is the 350? I know 2006 is the last year they were made, but why? The dealership still has some new 2006's and that is what I am thinking about buying. The salesman I spoke to said that Honda wanted to make larger bikes instead. I am just going to be riding this on the camp roads and maybe through a couple of low spots that at worst would have water or mud about an inch below the floor plates. These low spots are no more than 100 ft long. I can't afford the 4X4. For the most part the roads at the camp are good. I know that when you need 4X4 you need it, but I just can't swing the extra money now.

The dealer is offering these bikes for around $4,000 TTL included. Is that a good deal for this model? Do dealerships usually offer you some kind of accessory at a discount, or free with a bike purchase. I would like to get a gun mount for the front and a basket rack for the back. I don't expect both, but has anyone gotten a discount or small complimentary add on at a dealer when you bought a bike?

I am going to look at the bikes next week so any input would be helpful.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to buy

I bought a 2006 Rancher TM in nov. I also got the 2wd. I really like it. It does everything I need it to do plus some. I did buy a Garmin GPS that I use as a speed-odometer. I paid $3340 otd for mine and that included the first service.The "420" guys will come on and tell you how much better it is. I'm sure it is and I may own one one day but right now I'm very happy with my 350.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default What to buy

The TE is the "ES" electric shift model. Have you not seen the large number of posts in here about problems with the ES system???? It's buyer beware on this one! I say skip it unless there is something wrong with your left foot.

The 350 is really a sweet little machine. Honda replaced it with the 420 this year, which is an even sweeter machine...got to stay ahead of the market! The 350 is dead solid reliable, and will run forever with a reasonable amount of simple maintenance. It is an agile and fun trail quad, yet capable of light to medium work. I still own one (a TM)! It is ~8 years old now, and not a single problem of any kind with it.

You said your brother has a 400. Is that actually a Rancher 400AT??? It has a completely different automatic transmission, so don't equate it with either the 350 or the 420....nothing similar about them.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default What to buy

The TRX350 manual and electric shift are excellent units for what you are seeking.

DO NOT BE AFRAID OF THE ELECTRIC SHIFT !!

I am a senior tech for a large Honda Powerhouse Dealership.
I have tons of these models out there that have absolutely no issues what so ever.

You will find a lot of problems posted on here about the electric shift because people are always looking to save a buck trying to fix things theirself. Also people will complain about something before they will say anything good. Known fact.
You will seldome find posts on here titled "My 4x4 works great" or "The seat on my ATV is so comfortable" etc... But you will find more negative posts. Talk to some people who own these units that have not had any issues. You will be convinced it is the way to go on your purchase.

Yes, some issues have been found in the manufacture of angle sensors. These should be resolved on the '06. If not there is a warranty period to cover any issuse that may arise. If you are not confident in the ES, buy the extended service contract for it.

If you like the instrumant panel display etc... GO FOR IT

enjoy your new Honda

----- Gimpster -----

Old 06-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default What to buy

Gimpster

Is there a way to shift the TRX 350 ES manually if the electronic shift goes out?
Other than the push button, is there any other advantage to this shifting using the ES?
When you buy a new bike, do most dealers give you a good deal on add ons like racks?
I plan on putting Stabil in with the gas, as the bike may go for a few weeks without starting between hunting seasons. Is this the best method to avoid it being hard to start in the winter when it would get used almost every weekend?

Thanks!!

Old 06-03-2007, 04:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default What to buy

Yes, look in the rear compartment. There is a tool kit and an emergency shifter. The emergency shifter slips over where the foot shifter normally is bolted on the manual shift model. Instead of a splined shaft exiting the engine case to mount a foot shift, the shaft is hex shaped on the end to easilly accept the slip over emergency shift handle. In case the emergency shifter may get lost, a 12mm wrench will work in a pinch.
Advantage of the electric shift can depend on what you are going to use the unit for. A lot has to do with personal preference. I have farmer/ranchers out there who like the electric shift until it comes calfing time. There are times the left arm are occupied, like carying a calf back to shelter where it can be a hinderance. Then again I prefer the electric shift while pushing snow. Other advantages include how much easier it is on internal gear related components from consistant shifts every time. Electric shift models also have full instrumentation and full running boards.
Dealers will vary when it comes to options and aftermarket add-ons. Many will work with you on these items as they have deals set up with their parts department for discounts on parts for new units. Some will have a set-up where the parts department will sell the sales department these items cheaper than they can to the walk in over the counter customer. This can benifit you if the savings are passed on to the customer. Salesman commission may also be a determining factor on these items also. One more thing to keep in mind is weather or not the service department will have to install these parts at your expense or if you will have to install them. A good dealer will work with you on both the cost od parts aspect as well as installation. An excellent dealer will give you accessories at cost and have them installed at no cost during new unit sale. Like I say, it all depends on the dealer.
I am not a huge fan of Stabil for units that set for more than a month at a time. I prefer Sea-Foam. Reguardless, If the unit is to be stored for any long period of time, the fuel valve should placed in the off position and the carberator drained. The dealer can show you exactly where to drain the carb. There is a screw on the bowl of the carb that is accessed to drain with a flat head screw driver. WHen the unit is to be put back in service, simply turn the fuel valve on and wait a few seconds for the float bowl to fill and stsrt it up. Too much Stabil or Sea-Foam in the fuel mar cause poor performance or foul a spark plug.
When you decide to purchase the ATV, no mattter the choice, drop me a line. After 20 + years of taking care of my customers ATVs, sport bikes and Gold Wings, I have some good advice for you on storage of the unit and what to look for from fuel to differentials and batttery care off season to covering the unit and every thing in between, to retain it to a like new state for seasons to come.

Enjoy your Honda

----- Gimp -----

Old 06-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default What to buy

Thanks Gimpster

I always appreciate good honest tech advice. I know very little about ATV's but I am a Nortel Tech that, like you, tries to take care of customers the best I can.

I will be making the final decision by Friday. Hopefully I can pick it then on my day off and get it to the camp. I need one other guy there with me as we have to cross a river with the bike on a barge. Hopefully someone is there. Our hunting camp is on a very large island between the Atchafaylia River and Whiskey Bay in south Louisiana. ( yes those names are real. )

I have a shed with a dirt floor the bike will be in. I have a tarp, but I need to get a mat so as to protect the tires.

I'll respond back later in the week when the decision is made. Thanks for all the advice. If you think of anything else, please post it. The more I can learn the better.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default What to buy

iv owned an es for a couple years now and do alot of mudding and havent had any issues yet.