Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

replacing front knuckle on 05 Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing front knuckle on 05 Rubicon

I am trying to get the front knuckle off to put a new one on. I got the bottom ball joint off but I can't get the top one off. On the bottom ball joint, I removed the rubber boot by using a chisel and hammer to knock it lose since the ball joint came with the new knuckle but I don't want to damage the top ball joint since I have to reuse it. I may have to get a ball joint remover to get it off. My question is would the ball joint remover damage the ball joint? If I have to I will buy a new ball joint.

As far as putting the new knuckle on, do the ball joints have to be pressed in there with a special tool or would I have to take it to a shop? I would rather do it myself if possible. If anybody has done this before, let me know how you done it.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need a ball joint splitter.

Hit the spindle on the side of where the ball joint stud goes through.
With the ball joint nut off, smack it a few good ones with a 3 pound hammer.
Where the ball joint stud passes through the knuckle it is a taper fit. Hitting it on the side breaks the taper hold and will let the knuckle break free from the ball joint without damage to the ball joint.

The ball joints can be driven out of their perspective mounting part by removing the snap ring and pressing them out. Drivers of the correct size are available. The problem with driving them in is if they are not hit straight they will wedge. The aluminum body of the ball joint is easily damaged when this happens and may break. When installing I prefer wiping some anti-seize on them in case replacement is needed again. Makes taking them out a lot easier.

----- Gimpster -----

Old 06-29-2007, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where the stud goes through where it is tapered, does that have to be pressed in? The service manual does not say anything about pressing it in but says it needs to be torqued to 40ft lbs. Is that all I would have to do?

You say I need to press the ball joint to get it out. Would I need a special tool to do that and where would I get it? I may have to replace the top ball joint because there is a rip in the boot. I don't want to have to come back later and have to tear down again.

Thanks for the help Gimpster. I got the top ball joint broke lose where the stud goes through thanks to you. I was going to get a ball joint remover but now I know I don't have to.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I could suggest you take a socket and drive the ball joint out and back in, but I have to warn ya that when installing, the lip of the ball joint breaks real easy.

Yes, just torque the nut to seat the taper.

----- Gimpster -----