Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

RECON ES BLINKS 6 TIMES ???

Old 07-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RECON ES BLINKS 6 TIMES ???

I have a 2004 Honda Recon ES, it has already had 2 angle sensors replaced among other stuff but now it just all at once started blinking 6 times in 1st gear. When you cut it off and try to restart it with the key, nothing will work, you have to crank it with the pull rope and then shift it with the manual wrench. The code for the 6 blinking lights says ECU Failsafe Relay. I unplugged the ECU and cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner but it really didnt look dirty. The fuses under the seat are O.K. I would like to no if there is anything else to try before I order a $208.00 ECU that might not be the problem. Is there a relay for this ECU and where is it located? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default You got solved?

I working on Honda Trx250 ES and making 6 blinking i replace The ECU but same problema.. need help

Old 03-09-2024, 03:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The 250 is slightly different to other ES models. Not sure the others have a failsafe relay and if it is inside the ECU or external. If external it would be that which has failed, if internal, and a new ECU hasn't fixed it, then it is the wiring of that circuit. Honda manuals give the tests for each ES circuit, so buy the manual and do the tests, though some require special tools, so it could be best to let the dealer have it.

Old 03-09-2024, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
The 250 is slightly different to other ES models. Not sure the others have a failsafe relay and if it is inside the ECU or external. If external it would be that which has failed, if internal, and a new ECU hasn't fixed it, then it is the wiring of that circuit. Honda manuals give the tests for each ES circuit, so buy the manual and do the tests, though some require special tools, so it could be best to let the dealer have it.
Yes recent Buy The manual Unwrapped all The wire and clean all The plugs still The problem .. Will check The manual
Update. Already check the manual just Said replace The ECU and Problem Fix.. but not fix yet

Old 03-09-2024, 05:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thinking convert to manual shifter

To convert to manual Shifter has to Buy a case for The shifter motor and unplugged The ECU and mount a pedal shifter thats all? Or i'm wrong?

Old 03-10-2024, 04:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

No, I re-did a 350 ES last week. You remove any or all gears from the little gearbox behind the shift motor. Refit case and motor, this makes the emergency lever a lot less stiff to use and still keeps the water out. Then you fit a special pedal with a 12mm hex, where the emergency lever would normally go. Here in the UK we can't get ready made pedals, so have to make them, a really awkward job. I used to use a 12mm socket welded to an old pedal and held on by a grubscrew, which is what I had to remove on the 350 as it had worn badly. I now make hexagonal replicas of the splined type, with slit and pinchbolt. The gear indicator on the dash flashes afterwards, but you just have to live with that. Don't disconnect any wiring. This mod can't be done on 420/520ES or the 2014 to 2018 500ES.

I'm a bit surprised the book doesn't give any tests for the wires on the "failsafe relay" circuit. My 250 book is so old it doesn't cover ES models.

The following users liked this post:
AndromedaBocas (03-12-2024)