Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Finally figured out why Recon stalls in water

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally figured out why Recon stalls in water

The recons will stall out in water about up to the foot pegs. Will not do it if you just fly though it. But like when crossing a small stream or mud hole. Someone told me it but i could not beleive it was causing it. There is a little rubber hose coming from the bottom of the carb. It is a vent for the fuel bowl. If you take the carb apart you will see what I am talking about. But the fix is super easy. My hose was hanging a little below the foot pegs and when it hit water it would create a vacuume in the line and stop the fuel. The fix is to route the hose up into the body next to air cleaner box. I can now go as deep as the intake and no more stalling.
I always thought that was just a drain hose for the carb and It is but It serves @ functions, Drain and pressure relief

Old 07-31-2007, 10:32 AM
Range Rover

You have correctly identified the problem, but your repair is a potential disaster waiting to happen. If you run the bowl vent/overflow tube up along the breather and you pick up some trash in your carb that holds the float open, the excess fuel is going to go into your tranny, and that spells disaster. the correct fix for your problem is to put a tee fitting in that line with one end going down to the skid pan where it was, and the other end going up to the breather area.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer

Will sh-tfire why didnt you tell me this when I was begging for the answer. Picture me kicking myself in *** for not thinking about that. But that was a trail fix that got me out of a huge hole full of water and the damn thing would not crank. But thanks for hooking me up and sending me down the right path...................................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Range Rover

LOL......Glad you got it figured out. Nothing worse than a problem like that where there seems to be no cure.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:52 AM
Honda recon carb problem
Default Need help

Originally Posted by HondaTechnician
You have correctly identified the problem, but your repair is a potential disaster waiting to happen. If you run the bowl vent/overflow tube up along the breather and you pick up some trash in your carb that holds the float open, the excess fuel is going to go into your tranny, and that spells disaster. the correct fix for your problem is to put a tee fitting in that line with one end going down to the skid pan where it was, and the other end going up to the breather area.
What will the tee fitting do

Old 04-09-2020, 06:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Let fuel run down and onto the ground if the carb overflows but let air in if the bottom of the tube gets blocked by deep water. Never known anyone have a problem with water but plenty of numptys who lifted the pipe upwards when fuel started flowing from it, instead of turning the tap off.