Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda TRX680 FA shifting question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda TRX680 FA shifting question.

Solution found.
I finally got down to the camp and checked my oil.The local Honda dealer suggested the oil level might be low causing it to take longer to shift.I explained what he said in a previous reply.When I changed the oil for the first time I filled it to the oil capacity in as per the owners manual.I didn't have any leaks and adding what I was told by the manual I never rechecked the oil.Big mistake.
Anyway I ran it for a few minutes and shut it back down letting it sit as directed. The oil was just above the lower level mark on the dip stick.I added oil until I got to the full mark.After adding the oil the transmission shifted real well. A couple times it acted like it wanted to wind up before shifting. As soon as I gave it a little more throttle it shifted.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and thoughts.

Next oil change I will be going with Synthetic oil.

Frank

Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I kind of suspected that might be the problem. Glad it was that easy to take care of.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does Honda recommend very light winter season oils for this machine, like 5W30 or 0W30????

Old 10-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The little chart in the service book says 0W30 from 70f to -30f... Looks like 5W30 is good between about 10-85f.

I've only run 10W40 in mine, with no problems starting in cold weather, but I'm rarely running around on the thing when it's much below about 20f or so... and then it's only that cold in the early morning, so I just let it warm up well before running it.

What are you running in the Rancher?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:09 PM
Red Rider

Sounds like you guys might benefit from lighter oils in colder weather??? Worth a try....

The Ranchers gets ridden mostly in the southwest at higher altitudes, where it is usually much cooler than the desert valleys. In summer I run 10W40, and in winter 10W30. Lately I have been running ester synthetic RedLine Motorcycle Oil, but they don't have a 5W30 or 0W30. If I was riding in extreme cold, I might give Maxima Ultra 0W30 a try??? It is also an ester based synthetic.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, if I was running around much in the cold, or had shifting problems I'd probably try that... Since I ride for pleasure, I've only ridden a few times when it was down in the 20's.

If I were to go out when it was below zero, I'd also be looking at 5w30 or 0w30. Mostly if it got that cold I think I'd be inside the 5th wheel watching a movie and having a hot coco until it warms up, but that's just me.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I doubt very seriously where I'll be using it will need a lighter oil.I'll be down by Montgomery AL.I'll pretty much stick to what Honda recommends.They know allot more about their engines then I do. Thanks for everyones help on this matter.

Frank

Old 10-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

On the other end of the spectrum, then, in the chart in the honda service manual they show 20W50 if you are going to be riding around on 120 degree days...

It shows 10w40 having a range of about 20 to a bit over 100 f.

Enjoy the machine.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:13 PM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Ruger Redhawk

I'll pretty much stick to what Honda recommends.They know allot more about their engines then I do.</end quote></div>

Honda has been specing lighter oils for the last several years. This may reflect the higher quality of oils available compared to the past, but there is also some speculation that they might be doing the same thing they did with the cars when they had to meet CAFE standards.....

In the old days, you just increased the bulk viscosity of an oil if you wanted to make it more durable. These days however, there are so many advanced lubrication molecules like esters that have incredible film strength, that this isn't necessarily the case anymore!

In LA, 10W40 is probably a reasonable choice year round.....but not necessarily in the frozen north...so think about that if you are a cold weather rider! In reality, most folks are just to lazy to change their oil even once a year, much less change oil viscosity to match the seasons. Precisely why I never buy a used vehicle!!!

Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Before I moved from Florida my old 94 Ford F150 had nothing but Castrol GTX 20w50 in it.Since I'm almost in Tennessee I bought some 10w30 for the winter months.The wife has a Toyota Tundra and they specify 5w30.My New 08 Titan 4x4 is using Mobil 1 "Extended Performance" 10w30.

I will see when it gets cold in Lower AL if I need to go to a lighter the oil. I don't see it getting cold enough to be concerned using the 10w40.
Thanks for your comments

Frank

Quick Reply: Honda TRX680 FA shifting question.