Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda TRX680 FA shifting question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda TRX680 FA shifting question.

First of all I want to introduce myself.I'm Frank 54 yo married living in N.W Mississippi.I just found this forum and I'm sure I'll be stopping in often to look around and learn something.

I do have a question.

I hope someone can answer. Last year I bought a new 06 TRX680FA Rincon.Until recently didn't have a place to ride after relocating to MS from Florida. The wife and I have since joined a hunting club with a couple thousand acres.

I noticed riding the other day that when I have it in auto shifting mode the engine winds way up before changing gears.The speedometer showed around 19 mph before changing gears.Is normal for it to wait that long to shift?I took out the Honda's extended warranty mainly because of the auto transmission.
Another problem I saw which really isn't concerning me was the fuel gauge.I'd look at it one time and it would show a half tank of gas. A few minutes later is would say a quarter tank. Look again it says half tank. It was on level ground each time I looked.Not sure what causing this.My main concern is my shifting question.
If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated. I know allot of you guys know these Honda's inside and out figuring I'd get some answers here.

Thanks

Frank

Old 10-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I called the local Honda and talked to a gentleman.He told me sometimes this happens. Make sure the oil level isn't low.It has a Hydrostatic pump,and if the pumps takes awhile to fill up it causes the transmission to take longer to shift gears.His suggestion was check the oil first. I recently changed the oil.It calls for 3.1qts. I put 3 qts and 3 oz so it should be close. Next time I get to the club I'll check the oil first thing.Hopefully that will solve my dilemma.
I figured I would have gotten all kinds of replies with all the knowledge that's on this forum.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Regarding checking the oil, make sure to follow the directions in the manual about letting it sit and idle for a while, shut it off and check it a couple minutes later- without screwing the dipstick back in.

The transmission will pick shift points based on load and throttle. If you punch it, it will rev higher before shifting. Also, you will find the machine likes to be warmed up a few minutes in cold weather, or it will tend to shift sluggish. It doesn't take very long- just start it and let it run while you get your gear on, look at the map, or whatever.

Also, when you change the filter- there is a flat metal washer that goes against the filter on the spring side. It has a tendency to stick to the rubber part of the filter, and get thrown away with the filter.

I don't know what to tell you about the fuel gauge. Mine is pretty accurate and doesn't do that. I think if it were mine, I'd let the dealer fix it under warranty. I'd guess defective sending unit.

The auto transmission on these units has proven to be very reliable. My only complaint is that it is pretty tall geared, without much engine braking below about 10mph, so on steep technical decents you have to use the brakes a lot.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and welcome to riding.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your reply. I always warm it up a few minutes before riding . I follow the manuals instructions checking the oil. I had it service at 100 miles and I changed the oil the last time myself. I'm sure I didn't throw that flat metal washer away. I double checked myself being this is my first Honda with a internal oil filter.

The fuel guage after hunting season I will have checked.We belong to a hunting club about 6 hrs away and it's kept there during hunting season.It's well secured and members are in and out often.Plus I'm in good hands LOL with State Farm.I'll check the oil and will probably pull the filter out making sure that washer you mentioned is there.

They are several hills and slopes at the club.I will have to take notice if the hills and slope have or are effecting the shifting putting a strain on the engine.I never noticed this before.

I do appreciate your input and I will check it out.
Thanks for the welcome.
Frank

Old 10-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I also find that I can control where the thing shifts with the throttle. If you find it reving a bit high, ease off the throttle and it will likely upshift.

The engine's computer won't let it rev high enough to hurt anything, anyway.

If you keep the oil and filter changed, the valves adjusted, and the air filter cleaned and proeprly oiled, that machine should serve you for a very long time. You might also check that the lock nuts on the tie rod ends are tight... Mine came loose on the first ride. Be sure to use two wrenches, so as not to force the joint over on it's post...

Old 10-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tips.I will definitely check it out.I had a 1997 Polaris Sportsman 500 I bought new.That was a constant battle with minor stuff going wrong.They sure didn't make it the easiest to work on either. Years ago I had a Honda ATC 90 that served me well. After the Polaris I knew Honda was the way to go. My wife has a 06 TRX350FE and it's been a great bike so far.I love my 680 but was concerned about the shifting.I sure didn't want to over rev it. I feel better since you mentioned the computer won't let it over rev.At my age I leave the fast wild riding to the younger guys.If anything I baby this 680.I do blow it out on occasions.

I do appreciate your help.

Frank

Old 10-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Range Rover

One of the best things you can do is switch the Oil to synthetic. I switched my Rincon to Rotella T Synthetic oil. You can buy it by the gallon at Wal Mart pretty cheap and it is a great oil to use in the Rincon transmission. I noticed right off the tranny shifted better and smoother when useing the Rotella. Also warm up times were less also and it started easier.

I sold my old Rincon last summer on ebay and it has it faults but believe it or not I am actually considering buying a new 680 model. I never thought I would and have trIed and looked at all new big bores and sadly they seem like junk. Especially the Outlander 800 seems like a pop, or pile of poop. Has more problems than George W.

Sadly most others don't seem much better. Family member bought a grzz 700 after I sold the Rinny and its seems good and has less problems than most others but I don't like the comfort and tippiness.

Trending Topics

Old 10-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks atvboy1,I plan on going to synthetic.I had already bought the regular Honda 10w40. My next oil change in this 680 and the wife's 350 Rancher will be synthetic.Synthetic is all I run in my new truck.Next time go to Wal*mart I will look for that Rotella T or the Mobil 1 forumlated for motorcycles.
I realy like the 680. The only thing I wish it wasn't as big as it is.It gets tight in some places I have to go.

Thanks for your advice.

Frank

Old 10-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

I have over 1400 miles on my 680. Flawless service so far. I would not worry about the shifting and I almost never hear about a transmission problem with one.
Rinconriders.com has tons of info on these.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Foreman Dan, I will check that forum out. I appreciate the information.

Frank

Quick Reply: Honda TRX680 FA shifting question.