Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Valve alignment issues fourtrax

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve alignment issues fourtrax

There are two plugs on side of crank case one big one small open both up use socket on middle one you can turn it slowly on compression stroke look in little hole in cover when piston is alway to top of cylinder there should be TDC mark then adjust vavles .

Old 10-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

OK, let me explain in a different way...

When you line up the flywheel to the Top Dead Center mark, the piston is on the top of it's stroke.

If that happens to be Top Dead Center between Compression and Power stroke, both rockers would have play because both valves are fully closed and the motor is in the proper position to check the gap.

If the motor is TDC between Exhaust and Intake stroke, though, both rockers will be tight because the valves are slightly open in the overlap between exhaust and intake. Don't try to adjust the valves in this position, but rotate the crank another turn (360) until the TDC indicator comes up again and there is play in the rockers...

Old 10-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

I got them adjusted properly, thanks for the help.
The exhaust still doesn't "pulse" like a new honda, is that normal for an older engine?
also about the centrifical clutch, the rpm's have to get a bit higher than they should before much power is applied. I made the mistake of adding some lucas oil additive, have since drained and filled several times after running the eng for a few min. The clutch also sticks after setting for a couple days and has to be broken free by pulling up on the shifter while against a tree....will I be able to replace pads/discs w/ a clutch kit (about $50) or will the whole clutch be shot?

Old 10-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Personally I wouldn't really try to interpret how the engine is running by the feel of the pulse from the exhaust. If it is running and performing well, doesn't smoke, knock, or burn a bunch of oil, I'd consider it OK. Maybe the spark arrester is getting carboned up?

In regard to the clutch, the oil additive may have ruined it, but on my 500 anyway there is an adjustment for the auto clutch...

Do you have a manual for your machine? If not, it might be a worthwhile investment.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

THe way I do it is to watch the intake valves while turning the engine. Once the intake valves JUST start to move (Just beginning to open up on the intake stroke) I start looking for the next time the TDC mark shows up (it'll be close to 1 full turn of the crankshaft)... That will be TDC on the compression stroke. BTW, the intake valves will have just closed by the time the mark shows up.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default Valve alignment issues fourtrax"></title><script src=

I don't mean to beat a dead horse...but I will
I adjusted the valves last year, the ole' fourtrax has run quite well.
the valves developed a small "ticking" noise again. I'm gonna dig in again this weekend in the duck woods. I still don't really understand the TDC thing. Seems like once they fully open, they are ready to adjust. Am I wrong?
I did find TDC last time I adjusted them, when the mark lines up and the valves are opened, that's when I adjusted them.
Can anyone verify the gap for each intake and exhaust?
They were opened at the same time, right?
I know I'm making this harder than it is, just trying to understand. Seems like the exhaust would be closed while the intake was opend, but I remember adjusting them both at the same time. Any idea?

Old 12-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some reading.....

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine4.htm

http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

Old 12-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

If a picture is worth a thousand words an animation is worth a billion words.
Click me, click me!!!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

i was wonderin if you can tell me how to time a 2003 trx 350 fm honda rancher. what is the little deal on the end between the lobe and the small bearing?