Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Bring out the Beast in your machine with do at home methods!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bring out the Beast in your machine with do at home methods!

So i have a 1998 300ex and i was sitting here wondering how i could imporve the performance with simple do it at home methods. I think everyone WILL benifit from this.

Ps: feel free to post a simple method to merger your honda's performance.
=]

Old 11-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

One simple way of acomplishing this task is by simply either making holes in your air box and adding a water-proof material, or taking out the air box itself. More air flow = more power.

Another way is to polish and clean your heads. i was told all you have to do is remove the head, get some rather fine sand paper and smooth out all the damaged areas where the piston hits. Then, beholding a finer, smoother sand paper and doing it all over. Smoothing out the head will increase power and performance.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have a pipe/silencer on it, find a good used one, the stock Honda pipe is very small, or if money is a problem, take the head pipe off, and use a dremel or air grinder to open up the flange weld area,lots of times a lot of excess metal is hanging in the exhaust path. Even getting a little out of the way can make a difference. Just don't go crazy and grind all the weld off !!! Other than that, opening up the air box, as stated before, and rejetting, will help, the only air intakes on the 300 ex is the 2 little frame tubes that come into the box, drill some holes in the lid and use the UNI foam plugs, or just leave them open, just clean the filter more often.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Mill the head with several nice sharp pieces of sandpaper, a flat sturdy table, and a caliper (or some other way to track your progress). Deck the piston the same way as the head with the sandpaper. Take the base gasket out below the jug, use just a bit of rtv instead. All these raise compression. Porting is always something that can be done at home with just a cheap dremel n some bits. IF you want to really get crazy, you can file a little off the heel of the cam and that will give you a little more lift because now you can tighten the lash. The rocker doesn't push on the heel. Just get it as smooth as you can and that's it.

Maybe that will keep you busy for a while. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

one question. A friend that has an 03 suzuki ltz250 gave me his stock exhaust system. I called my local honda shop and asked if i could bend it and maybe cut a piece or add a piece. He said its not possible because the stock exhaust system for the suzuki is tuned diffrently than a stock honda exhaust system. Is this true?

Old 11-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Mill the head with several nice sharp pieces of sandpaper, a flat sturdy table, and a caliper (or some other way to track your progress). Deck the piston the same way as the head with the sandpaper. Take the base gasket out below the jug, use just a bit of rtv instead. All these raise compression. Porting is always something that can be done at home with just a cheap dremel n some bits. IF you want to really get crazy, you can file a little off the heel of the cam and that will give you a little more lift because now you can tighten the lash. The rocker doesn't push on the heel. Just get it as smooth as you can and that's it.

Maybe that will keep you busy for a while. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

It will really raise the compression when it has to be taken to a shop and milled again, properly.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

what do you mean by milled???

Old 11-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Milling the head refers to taking a small layer of metal off the existing head. Done properly at a machine shop, an even and precise amount will be taken off, which will increase the compression.

Done with a piece of sand paper, and you will have an uneven surface, a leaking head gasket and a really good idea of what is involved in taking your motor apart, twice.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Maybe that will keep you busy for a while. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Sorry Randy, using FireFox and the smiley didn't show up. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Just didn't want him to think that was really a good method. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Changed the avatar back to the one I used all last Christmas. Didn't mean to offend anyone. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Scootergptx

It will really raise the compression when it has to be taken to a shop and milled again, properly.</end quote></div>

I did it to my 220 bayou at it worked and still works great. I took off about .050 with sandpaper (220 grit) and a flat surface. Used my calipers and took careful notes and measurements. Its only a one cylinder engine. It doesn't matter if you're off a .001 or 2. It don't need to be perfectly flat, the gasket makes up the difference. A multi cylinder engine would have to be perfect.

I have no leaks, excellent compression, oodles of power and its been in nearly daily service like that for over 6 months. I have 25 inch tires (22 is stock) and can pull a car around the yard with no problem. I use the quad to pull trailers of wood around and general yard work. So, its not a toy, its a necessity.

So,,, what's not so proper about that?

As soon as my quadsport needs work, I'm planning to do it again. Only this time I will also deck the piston. Something I forgot to do to the 220 while it was apart.

Quick Reply: Bring out the Beast in your machine with do at home methods!