Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need help trx350d

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help trx350d

I have a 87 trx350d that has a mid range miss. I have rebuild the carb. no help. Tha unit will crank and idle fine. Wil also throttle up with no miss with no load on the motor. It willrun fine at full throttle while rideing,but can't ride any where between idle and full. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Hows the needle. Could be a worn needle or needle jet. Also check the setting on the clip, i think it should be the middle position.
If you pull on the choke, and try to go thru the rev range, while under load....does it get better or worse?

Old 12-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Have tryed the choke seems to get worse. I don't know what the clip is. The unit will foul the plug if you run in mid range long,and seems to be useing more fuel than normal.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Try putting the clip on the needle to the top position(which lowers the needle). That should be as lean as the midrange can get, and if thats not enough, then the needle and needle jet are too worn, and need to be replaced.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks will give it a try.Talk again soon.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you think it would be a good idea to get a rebuild kit,if so what brand.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

muledeer I know this is a long reply to your post but it's worth reading , here's something that you should try first check your spark plug color if it's black your carb fuel mix is rich and white is lean ; the plug color should be a tanish brown !

But it's sound's like you're running rich , check the plug and see if it's black and when you rebuilt the carb was it doing the same ?

And did you count the turn's on the mixture screw before you took the carb apart , you should turn in the mixture in counting the number of turn's clockwise until you feel alight seat ( Don't over tighten or you will damage the seat ) ; and there something else you could try before you remove the carb !

It could be carbon build up in the combustion chamber , i bought an 88' GMC S1500 Jimmy 4x4 MPV that had over 303 thousand miles from a used car dealer who said the engine and drivetrain only had 87 thousand miles since the rebuild !

But everybody know's about used cars and used car dealer's , so i didn't buy it for that reason alone the Custom Wheel's and new set of header's and Dual Stainless Steel Flo Master's were worth what i paid for the Jimmy !

The Jimmy started smoking after 75 miles then jumped time in the driveway , while i was saving the money for the part's to fix it ; i poured a 16 oz. can of Sea Foam in the fuel tank because it was a full tank and i didn't want over 20 gallon's of $3.00.9 Dollars and point 9 cent's a gallon go bad before i got it fixed !

The Jimmy sat up for over 6 month's when i got the part's i had it ready , and put timing chain and gear set , gaskets , a new starter , new flywheel and a used distributor ; then i set the timing with a freind's timing light and tuned the low idle mixture and i was done !

But after 25 miles it started to smoke again , i had the transmission out of my truck replacing the seal's ; so i had to drive the jimmy untill i got the S10 pickup trans fixed !

And after i had used a half tank of gas i topped off the tank , planning to sell the jimmyl to my brother ; as soon as my truck was fixed and on the way home i stopped at a traffic light !

And when the light turned green i looked in the driverside mirrow fully expecting to see a cloud of smoke , but this time there was no smoke and it's been over 7 months and it's still smoke free !

There was nothing i did to the engine that would've stopped the smoke it had to be the Sea Foam , i've talked to 5 or 6 machanic's and they all agreed that it had to be the Sea Foam ; it had cleaned out the combustion chamber and freed up valve's, lifters and ring's !

I know i was skeptical about the the stuff at first myself when i was told about it , i've tried all kind's gasoline additive's with 20 yrs. in Small Engine Service and Repair ; i used Staybil Fuel Stabilizer for keeping fuel from going bad and messing up lawn and garden equipment from season to season !

But this is the best stuff i've ever used you can get it at most Auto Parts Stores like , Auto Zone , Advance and O'Reillys Auto Parts Store they may have it at Wal Mart Super Center's ; i get it at O'Reillys Auto Parts for $5.99 + tax and it will Clean Your entire fuel system and the combustion Chamber of carbon buildup !

That's not alot to lose and an awfull lot to gain one 16 oz. can will treat up to 25 gallon's of fuel it's safe to use in 2 or 4 stroke engine's Both gas and diesel fuel way to much to put in this reply , even if you need rejetting and a carb adjustment ; i know you will see a difference if the jetting is ok and your carb air fuel mixture is not off to far !

And even after you get the jetting and mixture set right the ( " Sea Foam " ) and ( " Deep Creep " ) are the same stuff only Deep Creep come's in a spray can the Sea Foam will keep it running better , it also has a drying agent to help keep out moriture from forming in your tank ; so good luck with your quad my first Quad was a 86' Honda TRX350 Foreman 4x4 and it was built like a tank and was still running strong when i sold to it to my brother in Nov. 2005 !

And it would still be going strong if he had kelp up with servicng it the way i did before selling it to him , he only changed the oil and oil filter 2 or 3 time's ; and i don't think he cleaned and reoiled the air filter even once !

But almost 2 month's ago he raced our nefew's 98' Yamaha 350 Wolfverine 4x4 on 2 miles of 2 lane black top , when the honda jumped time ; but from what my nefew and my brother's wife who they ran off i left her and that the Honda was way ahead of the Yamaha when the Honda jumped time !

My nefew hasn't been riding quads as long as my brother , so if he had more seat time there may have been a difference ; because he hasn't been riding for a year and my brother has been riding motorcycle's , ATC's and ATV's for 9 or 10 yrs. so he has alot more seat time than our nefew !

My brother's wife had to push him about a quarter of a mile's from home on a 93' Suzuki LTF4WD 300 KQ i sold them 3 day's after i bought a new 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto 4x4 on Feb. 7th 2006 , he told me the engine was still running but backfiring the rest of the way ; and when he stopped he tried to give it a little throddle and it died and would only backfire but !

But it was a tuff quad and he plan's to rebuild it as soon as he saves money for the part's and again i hope you get your quad going , the best investment you can buy for your Quad and all your vehicle's is a good shop manual O.E.M. , Haynes , Chilton or Clymer that cover's your year Make and model !..........

Old 12-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: muledeer

Do you think it would be a good idea to get a rebuild kit,if so what brand.</end quote></div>

Brand name doesnt mean much, and if you buy a rebuild kit, itll have a new needle and needle jet. There are usually a few rebuild kits on ebay, and the price isnt too much

Old 12-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help.