Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1987 TRX250X Fourtrax TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 TRX250X Fourtrax TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS!!

Hey Yall,
I'm reposting this becuase it has been a while and I still need help with the transmission on my 1987 250X. Like I said before, I bought the quad after my friend said that 3rd gear had siezed up the tranny. When I cracked the case, I discovered 3 gears that needed replaced, a clutch fork that had completely snapped in half, and the clutch fork shaft was bent. After getting all of the parts and putting together like the book said, I tried to spin the engine and shift throught the gears. First gear seems to work, but when I put it into neutral it stil seems like it's in gear and when I go higher it starts to bind up. Any advise could HELP. Thanks

Old 12-09-2007, 12:51 AM
The Facility

Wow...been a while since I seen a 3rd gear prob on the 87 250X. Honda actually had a blunder with this model during the first half of that model year and 3rd gear was the problem.....causing transmission failures. They issued an updated parts list to correct this when it happened and it was to no cost to the consumer whether in warranty or not. However, that program expired over 12 years ago.
I mention all this because IF you put everything back together properly, it might not be working because someone ordered you the regular replacement parts for the transmission,...which will NOT work in any of the earlier batch of engines,..which is likely the case here.
If you dont have everything put together correctly, there's no way of knowing what isnt right because it could be literally dozens of things.
Before I would take it back apart, look at the part numbers of the parts you received. Then get the serial number from your engine and have your local dealer cross some of those part numbers to your engine number. You need to be sure you got the right parts before tearing it back down so you know where the problem lies. Installation error...or parts order error.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 86 250 . Does this problem with this year and model???Wow...been a while since I seen a 3rd gear prob on the 87 250X. Honda actually had a blunder with this model during the first half of that model year and 3rd gear was the problem.....causing transmission failures. They issued an updated parts list to correct this when it happened and it was to no cost to the consumer whether in warranty or not. However, that program expired over 12 years ago.
I mention all this because IF you put everything back together properly, it might not be working because someone ordered you the regular replacement parts for the transmission,...which will NOT work in any of the earlier batch of engines,..which is likely the case here.
If you dont have everything put together correctly, there's no way of knowing what isnt right because it could be literally dozens of things.
Before I would take it back apart, look at the part numbers of the parts you received. Then get the serial number from your engine and have your local dealer cross some of those part numbers to your engine number. You need to be sure you got the right parts before tearing it back down so you know where the problem lies. Installation error...or parts order error.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:32 PM
The Facility

The 3rd gear tranny problem ony applied to first few hundred engines built for the 1987 250X models only.
Does not pertain to any other 250 model and no other year.