Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

420 Squeek!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 420 Squeek!

Developed a squeeking noise in the front-end late this fall. Only does it when you turn the wheels to one side or the other and are backing up.
Took it in to the dealer for the first 20 hour check up and told him about it. Said he couldn't find any thing wrong after taking the brake and hub apart, said " the brake hose was a little tight".
Got it home and didn't do it for a while.....course didn't ride it that much either. Now I have begun to plow snow and the squeek is back and more prevalent. Does it any time you back up and turn the wheels.
Jack it up and nothing, changed the diff grease, no help.
Can't see anything rubbing. At a loss. Any help or similar problems with anyone else.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 420 Squeek!

Remove the front shock bolts and dab some grease on them. Slightly pry the shock mounts apart and snug the shock bolts when reinstalling the shocks. They may have been overtightened at the factory and are causing a squeek under certain conditions

----- Gregg -----

Old 12-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default 420 Squeek!

Gimpster
Top and bottom mounts? Why would this squeek only when in reverse and turning?
Thanks Alot

Old 12-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default 420 Squeek!

Mainly the lower shock mounts. The caster tends to want to change under these circumstances you have described, creating a rubbing on the side of the shock bushing as the a-arms want to move ahead or back.
Worth checking anyway, don't cost nuthing. I have found this problem on Ranchers from the get-go

----- Gimpster -----

Old 12-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default 420 Squeek!

Stay with me Gimpster.
The squeeking noise is in synic with the tires rotating. Like the tires are rubbing or I orginally thought it was the brakes or dirt in the brakes, Maybe the outer cv joint. Is this factory greased or sealed? I jacked it up today and can't get any noise out, seems like when the weight of the machine is on the ground.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default 420 Squeek!

Could be possably the disc brakes chiming on the rotors. Just enough wheel bearing looseness to let the brake pads touch the rotors with weight on them. The shipping coating (cosmoline) sprayed on these units may have coated the rotors. If not removed it may have cooked onto the rotors or has coated the pads. Food for thought. You could remove the wheels, brakepads and clean the rotors with brake cleaner. In severe cases, clean the brake pads on the wire wheel of your bench grinder and bevel the leading and trailing edges of the pads before reinstalling.

----- Gimpster -----

Old 12-19-2007, 12:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 420 Squeek!

I have a 2007 420fe and it also has the same squekink noise but when i put it in 4 wd it quits does yours stop squeking when you put it in 4wd

Old 12-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default 420 Squeek!

Gimpster, Thanks will try all above. Sure appreciate the help. Keep me informed if you happen onto this and figure out. Will let you know how I come out.

Conky16858, Well come to think of it, I don't think it completely quites, but now that you mention it, it does reduce the frequency of the squeek. Have you come up with any ideas?

Old 12-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default 420 Squeek!

Mine has something similar, when backing up and the bars are hard over to the left (or is it right???). The squeak is there, but it isn't so loud that it actually bothers me...

Old 12-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default 420 Squeek!

Reconranger
Any ideas? Mine is loud enough the neighbor noticed it when I was plowing his driveway. And loud enough to me it is really annoying. When I get time I am going to try Gimpster suggestings and see what happens. Thanks

Quick Reply: 420 Squeek!