Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

setting the bead

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setting the bead

what is the easiest way to do this. we tried heating the tire up so the tire would seal so air would go in it but we cant get it to seal

Old 12-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default setting the bead

I use a ratcheting motorcycle strap, wrap it around the outside of the tire and snug it up. once the beads are touching the rim, apply air with the valve core out. once the beads have slipped on enough where they will not slide back off when air is released, remove the strap and fill the tire with air until the beeds seat over the hump in the rim. Use soapy water on the rim to make the bead sseat without applying a lot of air pressure.
If the beads still will not seat using the strap, have another air hose handy with a blow nozzel and shoot air at the section of the bead where air is leaking from while applying air to the valve stem

----- Gimpster -----

Old 12-31-2007, 06:08 AM
Trailblazer
Default setting the bead

In addition to what Gimpster said.
Have you removed the valve core so air will go in a lot faster¿

Old 12-31-2007, 05:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default setting the bead

There is always the redneck starter fluid way... I am going to have to remember that 2nd airhose tip and try that next time I mount tires. Thanks Gimpster!!

Old 12-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default setting the bead

When some tires are shipped they are banded together in stacks. The beads are touching each other. When you pull the bands off the beads stay together and a person has 8 inches or better to expand the beads to seat on the rim. For these I have an air tank with a 3 inch long by 1 1/2 inch pipe welded to the end, a ball valve with a lever threaded to it and then another pipe threaded to the end of the ball valve that is 6 inches long and flatened on the end. I have as much air as I can get in the air tank, point the flat end at the bead and give it a birst of air by flipping the ball valve open and closed, real quick. Works the same way as starting fluid and a lot safer.
Man I can tell you some war stories about people and starting fluid seating beads !!

----- Gimpster -----

Old 12-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default setting the bead

I use Gimpster's method of using the ratchet type strap, and remove the valve core. I have a short section of hose hooked to an air coupler that I slip over the valve body so it flows air faster than through a chuck.

If I get one that still won't go, sometimes I'll inflate and soap up an old mtn bike tube, and slip that between the tire bead and the bead of the rim. Be careful how you position the mtn bike tube so it doesn't get caught under the inside of the tire bead, and once the tire starts over the the bead you can pull the mtn bike tube out.

Lastly, when you get tires that have been banded together, shove something in between the beads to spread them in a few places when you first get them, and let them sit that way.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default setting the bead

Whe I first get a new set of tires, I put some type of spreaders in them and let them set of a while. Then like Gimpster says use a quick fill without the valve stem in, sometimes you can set them up on a block, let the bottom bead seal then lightly pick the tire up as you are using the quick fill, however as soon as it starts to fill unhook the air hose from the quick fill valve.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default setting the bead

One more thing...........be sure to spray the rim and the tire bead with plenty of soapy water.........more soap the better. Do not exceed the max pressure. If the bead doesn't seat, break the tire down and re-soap. This will let it streach the bead a little. Be patient, it will go. A good blast of air.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default setting the bead

It's new years eve. Get a can of ether and spray it down about 30 seconds before midnight. At midnight toss a match on it. Two for the price of one!!!!!

Old 12-31-2007, 11:43 PM
Range Rover
Default setting the bead

the strap worked great thx