2003 650 Rincon temp light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 650 Rincon temp light on

oh cripes, I forgot about this unit with everything I had going on

cman962 your manual should outline it the ssame as the newer manuals
Cooling system Troubleshooting proceedure on page 6-4 under temperature too high section directs you to page 22-14 for meter function testing. Page 22-15 near mid page in bold letters is a proceedure which states - Temperature indicator does not go off with the fan motor stops ( Ithink their wording was a type error and should read, tempurature indicator does not go off when the fan stops)
The proceedure for oil sender test is under that section. Like outlined I would check the oil sender and also check if the black/blue or light blue wire have issues. If the oil temp wire has a short to ground (light blue wire), the lamp will stay lit.
Most common issues with the 650 as you described in your origional post are related to the temp sensor. Sorry if I steered you astray.
If no issues are found with any senders or wiring, the problem could be meter related or ECM related as they process the signals

----- Gimpster -----

Old 01-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would I be correct in my post above that since the light doesn't come on until it idles a while that this would eliminate a wiring harness short?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

First off, I didn't get to work on it last night.... my wife had different plans ..... spending time w/ the family. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I am definately working on it tonight.

Jeffin TD,
I think you are following me. I am thinking the same thing. I can't see the Oil temp being that high in lets say 10 mins.
I have replaced the coolant temp sensor ( unless I got a bad one) that would eliminate that sensor and a short would turn on the light on all the time.
It takes awhile for it to come on. I will add every time I have rode it around the yard to get it to come on ( low load conditon ) I haven't let it idle long enough to make the light come on. Once it is on if I turn off the motor it takes a minute or so idling before it comes back on.

Gimpster,
I don't think you lead me asstray....

I have followed the info you described....

Read my last post again ....

At the top of page 22-15 it says :
Temperature indicator does not go off with fan motor stops. ("with" typo in book )

The parts of the puzzle that are missing in the shop manual are:
1) What if <u>The fan Never comes on</u>. ( I have to short out he coolant temp sensor to make it come on ) page 22-15 doesn't apply if the fan never comes on.
2) What to look for if the fan doesn't come on But the temp light does?

To further fill in the blanks. When I turn on the key The temp light comes on for a few seconds the goes off. ( Just like it is supposed to according to the manual )
I think that eliminates all possible issues relating to page 22-14.

As stated in my last post .... At this point .... I don't think it is really hot enough to turn the fan on. My guess is the ECM primarily turns on the fan based on the Coolant temp sensor resistance readings.

I am hoping it is a faulty Oil temp sensor turning on the light prematurely.
I should be able to tell by running the motor till the light comes on then unplgging the oil temp sensor. If the light goes out I should test the Oil temp Sensor as discribed on page 22-16.

Where can I get a thermometer to use for this test ?

I will try to post an update later tonight.

Thanks again for the help Guys !

Old 01-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you can't find a lab thermometer locally, perhaps a cheap candy thermometer would have the range you need. Lab depot inc has some on line with a 0-300f range for like $8.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jeffin TD,

Thanks,
That gives me something to work with...

Old 01-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cheat, I will check a new unit with a laser temp gun pointed at the side of the sensor and then check the problem unit the same way and compare

When I get real ambitious I use my temp probe on my Blue Point multimeter

----- Gimpster -----

Old 01-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think I found the problem tonight.

The "female bullet connector" that hooks onto the oil temp sensor is broken off the wire. Actually the connector was broken into several pieces.

It's tough to get at the Oil sensor. I finally set the Rincon up on the rear rack and removed the skid plate to get to it.

The ECM must go into a FAIL SAFE MODE and turn on the temp light after a given amount of time if it doesn't get a signal from the Oil temp sensor.

Gimpster can you verify this?

What a bunch of work to find this.

I am assuming fixing this connection will fix my problem.
I will verify the results when I get it fixed.

THANKS For the Help Guys !

Old 01-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Cman962 - I am also having temp light issues. Last weekend I hardwired my fan, and this friday it was minus 20 here (-29 with the wind chill) and my light was still coming on all day - it looks like you had a heck of a time to troubleshoot this - was it the connector after all?

Old 01-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have been sick all week and haven't messed w/ it after work. Today I tried it out and it is working like it should again ... FIXED Finally !

I would check out the oil temp connection/ sending unit for sure.

The easiest way to get to it is to set it straight back on the rear rack ( like pulling a Wheelie ) then take of the skidplate and it is right in plain site.

I was hoping Gimpster would verify My thoughts on the Fail Safe mode.

Does your light come on after it has been running @ 10 minutes ?

Good luck !