Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

reverse on 2004 rincon

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse on 2004 rincon

My rincon wont go in to reverse screen just flashes. when the harness is unplgged off the top of the motor it will go into reverse but wont shift out of first gear i am assuming this harness is the shift solenoid. Need help to figure out if the solenoid is bad and how much they are or if it could be another problem

Old 02-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reverse switch is bad. It will not let the ecm select or operate the valve body in reverse.
Unplugging the harness is making the unit go into default so it will allow it to go into and move in reverse mode.
Once the reverse sender is replaced, the unit should be reinitialized and the codes erased

----- Gregg -----

Old 02-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the help do you know how much the switch is or a place i can get it?

Old 02-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

If the gear position switch is bad it will automatically go into fail safe mode (2nd gear) .. Reverse should work ..

Old 02-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

It will go into reverse, but the PCM does not actuate a pressure valve in the valve body
Check the diagnostic 'click' proceedure test for the A/T clutch pressure control solenoid. With the Key on and the shift lever moved into gear it should click (apply clutch pressure). This is also true for reverse. If the gear position switch is bad in the reverse position, th epowertrain control module will not see the unit being shifted into reverse and will not apply A/T clutch pressure = no drive in reverse from no clutch pressure

Now when in default, the solenoid is applied and will provide clutch pressure (you need pressure to have second gear default drive) So naturally there will be reverse engagement

----- Gimpster -----

Old 02-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

you are way over my head I just bought this atv and i have never worked on one before, so if you you could explain these test a little better i would really appreciate it very much... Or any manual i need to buy to trouble shoot if you can tell me the website to get one I will

thanks jacob

Old 02-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think on the back page of the owner's manual there's a number to order a factory service manual. If you like to do your own work and/or plan to keep the machine for a long time, it is worth it.

Basically what they are saying is that the machine has a switch that tells the computer whether it is in D, N or R that might be bad.

There is a little metal can mounted horizontally on the engine that is the selenoid for the clutch. It should click when the machine is put into gear. They are thinking that you will hear that click when you shift into Drive, but not when you shift into reverse.

The gear position switch is located right behind the oil fill, I believe. You might begin by checking it's 3 pin natural colored connector to make sure it's clean and tight. The connector is up by the frame (just follow it's wire).

With machine off, and connector unplugged, there should be continuity between the lt blue/whi wire and ground when in drive, continuity between green wire and ground in N, and continuity between the gray wire and ground in R.

If the switch is bad, shift the machine into N, undo the various clips on the wire, and unbolt it. The switch has a pin on the end of a shaft, so when you put a new one back in be careful to get it lined up and back in w/o damaging anything.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

Couldn't have said it any better myself Jeff, thanks...

Hondamechanic, have you noticed there is only a code 41-1 and not 41-2 for the gear position switch on a Rincon ? -1 is short (low voltage) -2 open (high voltage)
It seems as though the HDS will not read a bad gear position switch open. Shorted it will. I think that when gear changes between D-N-R opens the switch and would trip a code every time the unit's sub tranny was shifted. Maybe our friend here has an open reverse wire or internal connection on the gear position switch so the PCM is not seeing it.
I could be wrong....

I would test the switch as Jeff described as it is the proceedure from the service manual, before condeming the switch though

----- Gimpster -----

Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone for the help i have already ordered the switch because it was only $27 through atvoutfitters and the Crooks at my local honda dealer wanted $71. The part should be here by the end of the week any if that doesnt fix the problem I guess I will have more questions...

Jacob

Old 02-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Let us know how it turns out.

I suppose the alternate solution would have been to do the reverse over-ride modification...

Quick Reply: reverse on 2004 rincon