Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Moose Winter Pack Heated Handgrips

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moose Winter Pack Heated Handgrips

Hello folks,
I am here just about ready to put on my heated handgrips. Intructions say to use WD-40 to slide the grips on. I don't have any here at the moment but I do have silicone spray (Gunk). I was wondering if this would be good enough or will it not "set" and leave the grips slippery on the handlebar. Thanks for any help. (Doubt this is posted in the right category so mods feel free to move if necessary.)

Old 02-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would wonder if silicone would not "set" and remain slippery.

Kerosene or diesel I would think would be more similar to WD40 (but not smell as nice).

Actually I think I'd first try using some water with a little dab of soap first. As long as there isn't much soap in the water, they usually grip tight once allowed to sit a while.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Range Rover

Honestly, I've gotten away with using nothing but grip glue. They've always slipped right on and you have a few minutes to adjust them before it starts to set up.

Although this is just with regular grips.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

brake or carb cleaner works too

Old 02-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies guys. Installation went smoothly. Here's what I did. I used WD-40. In the instructions it says that if you are installing them on a quad with slightly larger handlebars like a Bombardier, then let them sit in hot or boiling water for a few minutes. From that I assumed that if I used that method, it should make them easier than normal to put on the Honda handlebars. I boiled a pot of water. Took the pot out to the garage. Laid the handgrips in the pot. While waiting, I sprayed the handlebars with WD-40. After a couple minutes, sprayed the handlebars again. After about 3 minutes I sprayed the handlebars one more time, then took one grip out of the pot (wearing thick rubber gloves!!), gave it a good dose of Wd-40, and pushed it on the handlebar. Slipped on easily in about 2 seconds. Same with the other grip. Works like a charm and I would strongly suggest that anyone installing the Moose handgrips use this method (or some other proven method from other users). By the way, after removing the old grips, i rubbed the handlebars with 180 grit sandpaper for a couple minutes each, then cleaned off the dust.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks for posting how it went.

Once they cooled, did they stick to the bar well? Did you have to use grip glue?

Old 02-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, they are stuck on incredibly well. They ain't coming off!! No grip glue used. The reason I posted how the handgrip installation went was because of reading of other people's nightmares when installing this type of grip. Stuck half way on and destroying the grips, having to use a LOT of force, and so on. The method I used worked great, and they are stuck on tight, and ain't coming off!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Cool. I'll have to try the hot water trick the next time I switch grips.