Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Yeah! I get my 500 Foreman tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yeah! I get my 500 Foreman tomorrow!

Alright everyone, I get my new 2008 Red Manual Foreman tomorrow! I've got a WARN RT30 being put on right away too! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'll post pictures tomorrow if any of you want to see! This is my first ATV so I am pretty jazzed. For trail riding, dependability issues, etc... should I get anything else for it right away? I am thinking I'll get 25" or 26" ITP Mud Lites once the stock tires wear out a little. Thanks everyone for being patient with me, and all my lam questions.

Jeff

Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Enjoy the new machine. If Honda is still offering compensation for new riders to take the education course, take advantage.

If you do longer rides, you will soon find that you want a rear bag of some kind. I prefer soft type, without zippers (that bind up when they get clogged with dust).

Personally I don't care for Honda's grips, but not everyone agrees. On mine I also like to carry one of the winch accessory kits with an extra tow strap. I have a Tusk brand kit, which I actually like better than the Warn one my buddy has, plus it's cheaper.

You will also want a rope type tire patch kit (cheap at auto parts store), and some sort of a pump. I really like the mini-foot pump. Others prefer C02 or electric pump.

Anyhow, have fun with the machine, and be careful.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm jealous... That is my favorite quad. I have been looking for the right deal on the same quad, only with electric shift. I like that body style and chassis improvements over my 450 foreman

----- Gimpster -----

Old 03-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys! I am jazzed, the only thing that kinda makes me wonder about this one is the goofy Reverse Button, and the Parking Brake. Other than that, I think it'll be a perfect quad for me. I actually did pick up a soft rear pack for it, I got one from Cabela's it's made by Mad Dog, and it is Zipperless. I also got the Winch Saver, a 15' tow strap, and 4 ratchet downs. I think now, I need to get a spare spark plug or two, and that stuff you put in the fuel to keep it from going bad. The temps here in Southcentral Alaska still are below freezing at night, so I am going to pick up some of that stuff too! Can't wait! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] That tire kit is a great idea, do you know anything about Koplin's tire repair kit? I think for $40 you can pick one up, and it is a pump as well. I was thinking about picking that up.

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer

Oh yeah, I picked up Cabela's deluxe ATV cover.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

In cold temps with an engine that isn't broken in, don't be surprised if it fouls a spark plug if you do short runs on the motor...

I have a mad dog zipperless bag, that I like. Tamarack also makes a very nice one.

I can't find the Koplin tire kit on line, so I don't know what to tell you about it.

First oil change/valve adjustment comes pretty quick, so you might want to snag some oil and filters.

A factory service manual is also a good investment if you are planning on doing your own work.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer

Jeffin TD:
(Good Job Buddy)
Thats real good advise on your list of things to consider, "Very good" I have the Tamarack front box on the rear of my Rincon smaller unit that looks awsome hard plastic with tought hinges and steel buckles. I bought the new SLIME air compressor it's the worlds smallest electric air compressor and comes with it's own hard case and it has several adapters to hard wire it or plug into your acc plug. Never go on a trail with out a tow strap, we bought nylon tie down straps that were to long and we cut the extra lenght off and put on a couple of steel hooks and they work great for the price of a couple of hooks. My Sons Rincon ended-up stuck in real deep snow 25 miles from our trailer and after watching him struggle for a couple of minutes with my other son trying to push & pull it out, I finally told them to use my tow strap? I had to laugh because they never think of being prepared like I do. Without my tow strap they were scruwed. It fites into the small glove box real nice

"Foreman headlight on a Rincon? Now that sounds interesting
please tell me about that one Jeffin. I bought two driving lights
for my Warn front bumper I'm going to install.

I would replace those stock grips with the new gel grips.
My hands would get a little numb after riding my Rincon
all day, but no more with the gel grips well worth the $15
bucks I paid for them. Take a razor blade and cut off the old ones
other wise you will be there all day trying to save the old ones.

I owned a Foreman and there is a way you can delete that stupid
reverse crap, by talking to a Honda Serviceman if he is willing to
tell you how to do it, I forgot what I did back in 2004.

Go to Nyroc's forums and click on the Honda section great People to
get awsome info from, they test new released gear, a trail section.
This is an awsome forum for all riders, they have forums for all quads
Does your Foreman have the new (Power Steering) Let us all know how you feel
after a full days riding with that. Keep in in mind you being a newby you
will get pretty sore anyway, I do after a big days riding every time I go out.

Good Luck those Foremans are an Icon in the quad market. Not super fast
or handle like IRS units but they do it all just fine with very good resale value.
Plus no belt crap to deal with.

Sign up for Nyroc Forums I look forward to seeing you guys there great Honda Folks. I will post an invite to you, Jeffin TD, Baseballjeff, Gimpster. have a
great day and get out & ride? a bad day down muddy trails is better than any day at work.

Garman

Honda: (Best On Earth) Dam-Straight

Old 03-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Congragulations man. I'm still saving up for my '08 Foreman ES /w Power Steering.. I wish i could get some reader reviews for it SOMEWHERE, but it seems that no one has one.

Anyway, i'd say im about 2 months away from getting mine. I will be paying it off completely the day i buy it... I can't wait.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Regarding the reverse thing, I think there's enough range in the cable adjuster to set it so it will engage reverse w/o having to poke the button and pull the brake, but then you could easily smash the transmission into reverse while still moving forward if you were trying to hit a bunch of downshifts in a hurry...

I think you will find that you get used to using the reverse setup as it was designed, and after a while you will be fast at grabbing reverse when you want, without even having to think about the button.

The 3rd headlight on the Rincon is a mod that some of us like to do. There's a thread over on rinconriders where a guy there explains how he did his, and another member knows all the parts that are needed, down to every little screw and spring, and can hook you up with everything at a discount...

Since this is a Foreman thread, I'd also add that I put a cole-hearce water proof toggle switch with rubber boot on the Foreman. It is nice to be able to shut the 3rd headlight off, so it doesn't reflect back in your face when you have something large on the front rack.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Trailblazer

Jeffin TD:
Thanks for the tip on the Rincon website I will check it out.
Thanks
Garman

Quick Reply: Yeah! I get my 500 Foreman tomorrow!