Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Upgrade the Quad or new sidexside

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade the Quad or new sidexside

here is my scenario: We have a new baby in the family. I have a 4.5 yr old son and a 3yr old daughter. My son will probably be getting a quad for his birthday. I currently have a 2001 Honda Rancher ES 4x4 and a 2004 Rancher ES 2x4. Now that we have a new baby we've been thinking of getting a SidexSide (Polaris Ranger) so that the DW, daughter and baby could ride in it while my son and I drive ride on the quad. The problem with a sidexside is it will take up the entire garage in my toyhauler and I'm sure another quad wont fit. The other possibility is to upgrade our current quads to newer ones, but which ones? Originally I thought about a couple more Ranchers, but just the other day I came across a 2006 Rincon for just under $5000. Then a friend of mine told me to check out the Foreman line. He said I might like the lower gear. Then again for a couple hundred more I could a brand new 08 Rancher. But then we are back to that whole third child thing and who doubles up and how do we carry a baby with us? (backpack, etc) so back to why we think we need a SidexSide.

We mostly ride in the rocky mountains in Montana. Most of the time its pretty easy mountain trails; however, I try to make at least one very difficult run on my quad. thoughts, opinions, experiences would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell everything you have and buy a Polaris Ranger Crew. It carries 6 full sized adult men.

http://www.region2000polaris.c...ehicles&ModelYear=2008

Old 03-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with your local forest service or your local atv clubs and see what the purposals are for your area forest and their forest travel management plans concerning utv's. A lot of the new travel management plans going into effect on National Forests and some that are being considered are going to be for 50" or less. This will eliminate most if not all the utv's (side by side) from using alot of the forest service trails, except for main multi-use roads. Meaning the only roads or trails avalible to utv will be shared with full size vehicles. Personally, my self I would stay with the atv and go with the two-up models. This way you will still be able to enjoy the off road trails limited to 50" or less in width. Here in the Black Hills the preferred alternative by the FS is to use only 50" or less trails. All National Forest are now going thru the travel management planning and determining which trails they will specify for atv use. Every atv'er needs to take time and participate in these planning meetings and expess your thoughts and recommend and lobby for the areas you would like to see open to atv use. NOW IS THE TIME TO GET ENVOLVED!!!!!!!