Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

gas leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas leak

today i was changeing the oil of my dads truck when i was under the truck i turned to my side to reach for the socket wrench and i noticed my rancher350 was leaking something i went over and put my hand on the puddle of watever it was leaking and i smelled it and it smelled like gas. the gas was comeing from the drain tube that was kinda weird cuz the bike was just sitting there and i dident ride it or start it up yet.

i remember my friend moveing the atv a little to the side he just kinda lifted it and moved it cuz he was trying to get to my dirtbike.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas leak

From what you are describing, I suspect your carb float bowl has overflowed and is dumping gas out of the vent hose.

Basically, on the bottom of the carb is a bowl, and inside is a float that pivots on a hinge and operates a valve, so as to keep the bowl filled with gas to a prescribed level.

If the float sticks, or the float valve is damaged, or if a bit of grit gets in between the valve and it's seat, it won't stop fuel flow when it is supposed to.

The result is gas dumps out of the vent hose.

For now, shut the gas valve off. You will likely need to remove the carb to clean and inspect the float, bowl, and float valve...

Before you mess with the carb, though, check to be sure the tank vent isn't blocked. On some machines if the tank vent is blocked or clogged, and the machine is out in the hot sun the tank can build enough pressure to push fuel past the otherwise properly functioning float valve...