Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher 350

I'm trying to take the gas tank off to clean it out. I can see sand and dirt in the bottom of it. I've drained it, taken off the 3 screws and the plastic cover over the top where the cap goes. My question is this: It's loose and wants to come off but the fuel on/off/reservoir **** is in the way. Is there a way to take the **** off? I don't need to remover the rest of the cowling do I?
Wanted to ask people who know more than me before I start bowing up on it and break something..............

Thanks!
Scott

Old 04-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rancher 350

Scott, use a longer phillips screwdriver in the center of the fuel valve ****. Normal phillips screwdrivers can be too short to reach the head of the screw on some models.
When installing, notice that where the **** slips over the petcock shaft that all 4 corners of the square shaft are not square. One is rounded. Same inside the fuel ****. This is to index the **** for proper on, off and reserve indication when properly installed.

----- Gimpster -----

Old 04-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher 350

Thanks, Gimpster. I didn't know there was a screw up in there. That helps tremendously. And, yes, I will need a longer than normal.

Thanks Again,
Scott

ps Any suggestions on how or what I should use to rinse out the tank to get the junk out of there? Like I said, it looks like sand and I'm pretty sure it is since I've been riding it in Florida the last few years............

Old 04-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rancher 350

Well, you will have to remove the petcock assembly. If you try to flush the tank and hold it upside down, you will not get everything out. There is a lip inside the fuel filler opening...
Probably water and repeat shaking and emptying until everything is out. I usually pressure wash them inside unless something is sticking to the bottom where I will drop a rag inside and with a long object, rub it around to break it loose. Has been times where I had to dump BB's in the tank and shake it to break stuff loose. And then you will have to totally let the tank dry after having water in it.

That is about all I can suggest other than taking to a radiator shop and have them steam clean it.

----- Gimpster -----

Old 04-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher 350

Thanks again, Gimpster. You've been a tremendous help.
Have a great weekend!

Scott