Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What oil do you use in your Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What oil do you use in your Honda?

Pinetag
Again you can go with about any regular oil from the auto parts store, again, like I say, as long has it doesn't have the "energy conserving" logo on it. As Cmarti is using the Rotella. However I am like lzrj, and using the Royal Purple Max cycle.
Valvoline now has an ATV 10W-40 that is avalible at most auto parts store. I get my RP from Napa.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

if you were a oilahaulic or the smartest person in the world, you would know to use Maxima 10w 30-40. it HAS to be atv or motorcycle oil, or you will soon see what happens to your clutches. purple this, ams oil that...its all crap.

you dont have to take my word for it.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer

Amsoil Forumla 4 0-40w is what I run in my rubicon.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

Redline 4Stroke Motorcycle oil , 10w-40

Old 04-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: go-hard-or-go-home

if you were a oilahaulic or the smartest person in the world, you would know to use Maxima 10w 30-40. it HAS to be atv or motorcycle oil, or you will soon see what happens to your clutches. purple this, ams oil that...its all crap.

you dont have to take my word for it.</end quote></div>

I love people who think what they use is "The World". There are numerous makes of oil on the market and they all will do what they intend to do. I guarantee that Maxima does not work any better than any of the other good stuff. Is Maxima good, yes. Is Mobil 1 good, yes. Is Royal Purple good, yes. Is Amsoil good, yes. Maintaining your stuff regularly and treating it right is far more impotant to making things last a very long time. If something does break, then its still much more likely that the part broke on its own(design, metal fatigue, ect...) rather than the oil causing the problem (unless the wrong type of oil was used). Another thing to think about is what you do to your stuff aftermarket wise as well. When you start messing with the way it came from the factory, the reliablity of that item usually goes down. I do very little changes to my stuff and I very seldom have any problems compared to my friends who bore, jet, and change stuff to theirs.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:44 AM
Trailblazer

I disagree about the Royal Purple - I would not use it in my Quads

Amsoil is tested out to be superior to most any other oil out there as well

Old 04-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

I use cheap Wal Mart synthetic oil....10w 30, I think its called Duralube. Works for me!

Old 04-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WOLFCREEKRIDER

I disagree about the Royal Purple - I would not use it in my Quads

Amsoil is tested out to be superior to most any other oil out there as well</end quote></div>

i think you just made that up

Old 04-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

"Amway", uoops, I meant to say "Amsoil", what a frigg'en maketing rip-off.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of good basic info on oil here. Your best choice will always be an API SG/JASO MA motorcycle specific oil: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Info on the 3 different synthetics. (For the record, Rotella is an example of group III; Mobil 1 and Amsoil are group IV PAO; and Redline, Maxima, Motul, and Klotz have at least some ester based group V): http://www.p1-performance.com/pdf/oildoc.pdf

http://www.maximausa.com/techn...enews/LubeNews2002.pdf

In most of the country, 10W40 makes a good warm season oil, and 5W30 a good cold season oil. If you are in the hot south, maybe 15W50 in the hot and 10W30 in the cold. In the forzen north, maybe 10W30 in the warm and 0W30 in the cold. Consult your owner's manunal!!!

I prefer the ester synthetics, so I am running Redline MC oil (it is a long story, but even though it is JASO MB it is still safe for a wet clutch). In the past, I have run Maxima Extra, also an ester based oil.

Quick Reply: What oil do you use in your Honda?