Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Is it legal to ride where the powerlines run?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 10:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's usually alright as long as you don't stop
and build a cabin, move in the youngun's and
raise cows. loafie

01 xr400
white bros.e series
k&n filter
15x48 sprockets

Old 01-20-2001, 12:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had to jump in on this one.
I grew up in Northern NY, about 100 miles South of Canada.
Where I lived (parents still live) we own approx. 600 acres, of which The Power Authority Of The State Of New York (P.A.S.N.Y.) has not one, not two, but three transmission lines (power lines) running across OUR property. the last and largest line was erected in the late '70's - early '80's and is a 765 KV (765,000 Kilovolts) line, 1/4 mile between structures.
P.A.S.N.Y. sent over 20 people to try to negotiate a fair price for what they were about to do, clear cut our property through the best part of our sugar bush.
To make a long story shorter, after they agreed to OUR terms they put up their power lines on OUR land, they and only they have the right of way to maintain the lines. WE OWN the land, WE PAY the taxes on the land, and after problems with poachers we had to fence off the power line property and gate and lock the access roads.
We have on numerous occassions had to explain to would be trespassers who think they are free to trespass that the land is NOT owned by the power company, and because of a few bad apples we had to put a stop to trespassing.
Also, someone wrote in an earlier post something like "if you don't see a NO TRESPASSING sign, that it must be alright" WWWRRROOONNNGGG!
Just like if you hunt, if you don't know who owns the property, find out before you go trespassing.
If you respect the landowners, chances are you might find yourself a new riding partner, after all who knows the land better? In many States the land does not legally have to be posted with "NO TRESPASSING" signs in order to arrest a trespasser.
It is the trespassers fault for not finding out who owned the land before they decided to cross it.
Could you imagine driving across someone's land not knowing if they were hunting or sighting in a rifle or cutting trees, etc., etc., because you didn't know, because you didn't ASK??!!
Be SMART, BE SAFE, AND SET A GOOD EXAMPLE FOR THE YOUNGER RIDERS.....ASK FIRST!

2001 HONDA 450S
A2500 WARN WINCH
MAIER HAND GUARDS

Old 01-20-2001, 03:09 PM
Trailblazer

But the best part is i am only 13 years old so all i get is chewed out by the land owner and dont have to worry about getting arrested.

Old 01-20-2001, 04:51 PM
Range Rover

mr450s,
i agree your letter. part of my property was
commandeered by TVA to build a tower. most
people know me and are welcome to ride as long
as they know to not litter, shoot firearms and
no open fires and other land owners in the area
feel the same way. thanks,loafie.
xr400
white bros. e series
k&n filter
15x48 sprockets

Old 01-20-2001, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

You guys need to use your common sense and consider that someone owns the land where you ride. And just because you don't see a posted sign does not mean that it is okay to be there.

You are taking a chance of being arrested for trespassing if you are caught on private land for which you do not have specific permission to ride your quad. There are only two types of land, public and private. And land does not have to be fenced or controlled for it to be considered as private. And furthermore, not knowing the law is never an excuse for those who get caught.

If you do not have permission from a private landowner to ride your off road vehicle, or the ability to transport it to a public area approved for such, I suggest you keep it parked in the garage and play video games instead.

Old 01-21-2001, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

'NUFF SAID!

Old 05-10-2023, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Please do not ride on my powerline right of way

You are noisy, disruptive, and tend to show up in the evening and late night hours, in addition, it is steep where you are riding and dangerous and we may be liable if you are killed or injured. If you weren't so noisy and crazily riding up and down and through the creek that we feed fish in and if it was during the afternoon, I could accept a bit of it. PLEASE Respect this, we don't want enemies! We pay taxes on this land you are on!