Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help..Warn1.5 winch wont fit on 07 Honda Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help..Warn1.5 winch wont fit on 07 Honda Rancher

Just bought my first quad, a Rancher 420 4X4 ES and a Warn 1.5 winch and mount plate. Tried installing it this weekend but the free spool switch hits the frame and won't allow me to flip it to free spool. Thought I did something wrong so I removed it and reinstalled it - same problem. Salesman from Rocky Mountain ATV said it should fit without any problems when I bought it. I heard that the Warn2.5 would not fit w/o modifications, thats why I went with the 1.5. Anyone here have this setup?
Any help would be appreciated!!!

Old 04-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh it will fit... sort of like a chinese puzzle. Actually, I have an 07 420 rancher and got the 2.5 ton winch. I am reasonably mechanical, but still followed the directions to the letter. I got to the point of putting the winch unit in and battled and battled with it for over an hour. I was convinced it wouldn't fit. I happened to check the mount box (you have to get the extra mounting kit) and I found a mounting plate that solved the problem.

The winch as it sits in the machine is with the release on the left and the blue electrical plug is on the left, nearly straight up with a slight off center to the rear. It fits like a tight glove, but it does fit perfectly. The only mod is trimming the plastic skid plate (dremmel tool job or small keyhole saw) which is explained in the directions. I found the mounting plate directions much easier to follow then those that come with the winch.

Another tip,, the wiring "box" (can;t think of the name of it off hand) just slip it into the bit of space behind the battery. I actually didnt even bolt it in as it is a tight squeeze and wont go anywhere. Make sure you put on the rubber boots though.

Good luck... when you finally get it to fit, it does not take any rassling or forcing.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer

Geolguy,

Thanks for the response. I am starting to think I was sold an older model winch because my winch plate kit directions talk about the rubber boots you mentioned but my winch does not have them. The two wires to the winch enter together on the right side (facing front of ATV) are side by side and do not come off.

I also bought the mount plate kit (mine was a 3 piece plate, was yours?)

The winch sits in perfectly using the mount plate, with the release on the left side facing back towards the rear of the ATV but when I try to flip the switch it hits the frame of the ATV. I do a lot of mechanical work so I don't think I messed up the installation....but you never know.

Any other ideas?

Old 04-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

I will look again tomorrow afternoon. The wires (yellow and blue) are offset considerably on the right side with the winch that I have. The blue is almost on the bottom. I will check again tomorrow.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

the free spool switch on the 2.5 isnt the same as the 1.5.........mine hits the frame to but i played with it enough to get it to free spool

yes its tight but it will work just keep working on it

Old 04-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Trailblazer

Jrafter,

I can hold it in position and get it to free spool but it I can not flip the switch all the way. Are you able to get enough room to completely flip the switch to free spool or do you have to hold it in position??

Thanks for the response.

Jeff

Old 04-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

well it will go into postion but it doesnt stay......it still hits the frame...i just kinda live with it

i spent a good 3 hrs putting my winch on.....put on take it off

good 8 times ......just take your time

Old 04-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer

Jrafter,

That is how mine was too, it would flip to free spool but won't stay in that position. just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. I will reinstall it this weekend. Thanks again for the input.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

i just installed a warn rt25 on my 420. I had no problems, it is tight but nothing hits the frame. The 1.5 may be different, i figured it would be easier to fit since it is a little smaller.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

Hey all,
Finally called Warn and talked to someone who knew what he was talking about and hear is the official scoop....the Warn 1.5CI winch will not fit without the free spool switch hitting the frame. The even said that they do not make a mount bracket for the 1.5CI winch (even though the one I used works) They recommend using a Warn 2.5 because the 1.5 isn't strong enough and they moved the free spool switch to the end of winch to avoid the problem. So yesterday I removed the winch (again) packed it up and sent it back to get the Warn 2.5 with Synthetic rope. I figured all the trouble I put myself through I may as well get the good one! I will let you all know how it installs when I get it. Thanks for all of the input you guys have given me.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Help..Warn1.5 winch wont fit on 07 Honda Rancher