Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Which is wider??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is wider??

I'm looking to widen the A-arms on my 300ex and was wondering if the stock A-arms on a 400ex would give me a wider stands than ordering one of those widing kits off ebay?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:17 PM
The Facility
Default Which is wider??

400EX arms are totally different than 300EX arms and modifying them to fit would be no easier than building a set from scratch.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which is wider??

I run tires (ITP Holeshot XC) and rims (ITP Baja) that are wider and have a greater offset then stock, and I end up several inchs wider front and rear without having to mess with axles, a-arms, new shocks, or wheel spacers, etc.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default Which is wider??

Not being picky, but most people like the stability offered with the wider axles and a-arms and aftermarket shocks absorb much better than stock, and most aftermarket shocks require more travel than standard a arms will allow. Once you buy the extended a-arms, it only makes sense to get the extended axle (which is usually lighter than stock, and stronger...looks better too). As far as wheel spacers, don't know anyone that uses them, but I know I wouldn't.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default Which is wider??

Well from what I read in one other forum, A-Arms from the 400ex pretty much bolts right up other than the top shock mounts, because the 400ex shocks are much longer the the shocks on the 300ex. Not sure about that though. Thats just what I read somewhere.

I dont think I would like buying wider rims and tires for the front because I think that might look funny. I like the look of wide stands you get from the other.

One reason I ask this question is, I can get the full setup from a 400ex used off ebay for around about the same price as one of those widing kits they also sell on there. I know that the 400ex setup would probably be better as far as proformace and stability but I think it would be more work to put that on versus the kit. Thats why I was wondering what the difference is between the two as far as how wide each setup is compared to the other.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:14 PM
The Facility
Default Which is wider??

By using offset wheels...or wheel spacers, you have to weigh the advantages (stability and cheaper than arms) over the disadvantages (suspension geometry changes and wasted travel due to increased shock leverage ratio,... increased wheel bearing wear,.... increased bump steer due to the wheel's true center being further away from the ball joint,... and heavier steering for the same reason).

My view of wheel spacers have always been that if you are a beginning to intermediate trail rider, they are acceptable. And if not, you are cutting yourself short on your quads handling potentials. Just my opinion.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer
Default Which is wider??

Yeah wheel spacer are defently out. I just wondered if anyone knew which was wider, 400ex A-arm setup or the widing kit for the 300ex they sell.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Range Rover
Default Which is wider??

I don't know anything about wheel spacers but I bought my recon used and they had already been put on the front. The front wheels stick out well beyond the rears and I have to back it into my truck (S-10) because of them. They don't seem to hurt anything or affect handling as far as I can tell but I don't have experience on any other models to compare it to.

Just my .02

Old 04-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?
Default Which is wider??

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: KNOWSALOT

400EX arms are totally different than 300EX arms and modifying them to fit would be no easier than building a set from scratch.</end quote></div>

You, sir, are wrong this time. (first time for everything) The 400ex A-arms bolt right on. You need the 400 tie rods, also.

The problem is with shocks. The 300's are too short and the 400's are too long.

The Ebay kits claim 6", the A-armsonly gave ours 3-4, I think.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:07 PM
The Facility
Default Which is wider??

Tractor,
Good call old friend. And my apologies to Lylestyle.
When I read your correction, it dawned on me that I had to have been thinking of the 250R chassis. That or I have a bit more of corrupted memory space due to age being as how I now recall a riding pal using 400 arms on his 300.

Quick Reply: Which is wider??