Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Which Honda is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TRX300's, I have 3 of them and they just go forever. Two of them are 88's one is a 96. I actuallly prefer the 88 model ,snappier engine and a little different front end geometry that makes it handle quicker at slow speeds. The '88 2x4 has had absolutly nothing ever done to it but an oil change once or twice a year, the air filter kept clean and the valve clearence checked/ adjusted. I am on my 3rd or 4th spark plug (it never fouled it just seems like every 5-6 years I should replace it just for the he ll of it). Other then that it's just normal wear items ,5th or 6th set of tires, maybe 4th battery (I use battery tender jr.'s on all of them).

I'm about to buy a 420 Rancher Foot shift with p.s. . I hope in 10 years I'll have really good things to say about it but with liquid cooling, EFI, traxlock , and p.s. there's more to go wrong, I'm hoping that it will come close to my 300's but we'll have to wait and see.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

The 1986-1990 TRX 250R, it's a true legend!

Old 12-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

450r

Old 09-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 99 300 fourtraxx and love it on my 3rd set of tires now but have never had a wrench on the motor

Old 09-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOWSALOT
Reliability wise,.... the 1988-1995 TRX300 Fourtrax....hands down. The 1996-2000 models weren't bad, but were built in the USA and do indeed have a few flaws that never became big issues with the Japanese models.
That was the first thing that came to my mind. We had a '94 model, and I rode that from the time I was 5 until I was around 14 or so. Never had a single problem out of it and I rode the crap out of it for a young guy.

Probably my favorite in the line right now, would be the 400ex, which is why that is the only quad I still have when I had quite a few others. I don't ride ATV's like I used to, but still ride hard when I do at times. The 400ex works out great for me because I can put it up in the shed with no maintnance for months, get it out, kick the tires, and keep up with anyone else. (To note, I personally like the Z400 a tad bit better if I rode a lot more for performance type stuff)

..and it's technically my wife's and she would never let me sell it if I wanted to.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:49 PM
Rolling on 3 (wheels)

You Cant go wrong with many older Hondas. Special mention has to go to the ATC 185s/200s, Rock Solid and simple. Beat them, roll them, jump them, crash them, sink them, ride them 3 miles at WOT, whatever, they keep going! Shoot, park it in a shed (Or even outside) for 20 years, pull it out, and in a half hour, it lives again! (though you may or may not need new tires ).

My ATC 185s has been through hell and back, and it keeps going for more. It smokes some, but still goes well. I wish it had better brakes though, cause it takes a good distance to stop, but well, its old and needs a new drum in back.

(BTW, I wouldn't recommend jumping though, cause the landing is a bit jarring. wont hurt the trike in the least, but I cant say the same for the rider. )

Old 02-17-2016, 03:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

We got two brand new 420s in on Monday, also have a 300 "heavy smoker" that has just had a service, and a 200ES ATC that "wasn't running right," turned out to be the jet needle dropped out of it's circlip, and it still ran. Both the 20th century machines are a lot better starters than the brand new ones. Could be newness, or the factory Gasoline, time will tell.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Trx250r

trx250R its just the best sport atv i have ever rode. The handling is so ridiculously forgiving you could let almost anyone learn on the R. In fact that might get a new rider killed when he/she goes to ride well...Anything else. Even a mildly skilled rider can look like a national champ at the bars of one. when i first got mine "first 2 stroke" i heard alot of opinions on all the extra maintenance they are. but mine starts 1 or 2 kicks even in the cold besides keeping her clean i don't really do any extra work to it other than change the rings and upper rod bearings once in a great..great while.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Why not ES ?

Originally Posted by reconranger
"Best" means lots of different things, but in this case I assume you mean reliability.

I have to vote 400EX on the sport side. It has been the best machine of any kind I have ever owned! Mine is an 00, that must have many thousands of miles on it, and it has had lots of beginner riders learn to shift a manual on it as well. All it has ever needed was a new set of rear axle bearings, and that was mostly my own fault anyway.

On the utility side, the Rancher (not an ES!). I also have an 00 Rancher, and it has never had a single problem of any kind.

I have also owned the 450R, 300EX, 250EX, and TRX90, and none of them has had any problems to speak of either! And my Recon (not ES!) was bulletproof as well, and the Rancher 420 is now a couple years old and going strong. So, I could easily vote for any of these......
why

My 2005 ES 350 rancher has been bulletproof.
Never a problem.
I do have a 420 with foot shift.
But everyone prefers the ES.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Probably because Honda sells more ATVs than anyone else.

Originally Posted by Ujoint
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: KNOWSALOT

Reliability wise,.... the 1988-1995 TRX300 Fourtrax....hands down. The 1996-2000 models weren't bad, but were built in the USA and do indeed have a few flaws that never became big issues with the Japanese models.

This company built a legacy in the early 1980s and early 90s for having the best products and at the best price. Since that time, the OEMs have caught up and some have even surpassed them in terms of marketing strategy and sales numbers.

Honda's legacy for reliability was easy to achieve because they kept things very simple and very owner friendly.

In the past 10 years, they aborted that idea while other OEMs adopted it.</end quote></div>

I agree with KNOWSALOT - the earlier TRX300(FW)'s are still the most reliable Honda quad ever produced - I actually prefer the '88 - '92 as they actually produce more HP due to camshaft grind - they did not have to meet emissions requirements - with an upgrade to the later model rear axle and hubs, you actually have a better quad than the last versions.

Since I started helping Dad in the shop 7 years ago, I have seen the "insides" of more "newer model" Honda engines than the total of any other quad manufacturer on the market COMBINED - - I can rebuild a Rancher 350 engine from the bottom up in my sleep - since they rank #1 for rebuilds through our shop.

I'd say Honda sells lots more ATVs than anyone else.

Quick Reply: Which Honda is the best?