Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Which Honda is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Honda is the best?

What do you think is the best Honda model that's ever been made and why? Just curious and thought it would be fun.

I know I've heard the Recon is pretty indestructable (that's what I have [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]) but I don't have any experience with Honda's other models.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Range Rover

atc200es
cheap, practical, nimble, low maintenance, and indestructible

Old 05-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Best" means lots of different things, but in this case I assume you mean reliability.

I have to vote 400EX on the sport side. It has been the best machine of any kind I have ever owned! Mine is an 00, that must have many thousands of miles on it, and it has had lots of beginner riders learn to shift a manual on it as well. All it has ever needed was a new set of rear axle bearings, and that was mostly my own fault anyway.

On the utility side, the Rancher (not an ES!). I also have an 00 Rancher, and it has never had a single problem of any kind.

I have also owned the 450R, 300EX, 250EX, and TRX90, and none of them has had any problems to speak of either! And my Recon (not ES!) was bulletproof as well, and the Rancher 420 is now a couple years old and going strong. So, I could easily vote for any of these......

Old 05-24-2008, 12:33 AM
The Facility

Reliability wise,.... the 1988-1995 TRX300 Fourtrax....hands down. The 1996-2000 models weren't bad, but were built in the USA and do indeed have a few flaws that never became big issues with the Japanese models.

This company built a legacy in the early 1980s and early 90s for having the best products and at the best price. Since that time, the OEMs have caught up and some have even surpassed them in terms of marketing strategy and sales numbers.
Honda's legacy for reliability was easy to achieve because they kept things very simple and very owner friendly.
In the past 10 years, they aborted that idea while other OEMs adopted it.

Another thing to keep in mind about why Honda was so dominant in the early days of ATVs is because Honda owned so many of the patents required to build one "properly".
Everything from the particular triangle pattern of the wheel spacing on the 3 wheelers, to the engine locations. Ever wonder why so many old Yamahas, Suzukis, and Kawasakis had the engine so far back in the frame and wheelied like crazy?? Honda had the patent on where the engine was loacted in relation to the steering head.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: KNOWSALOT

Reliability wise,.... the 1988-1995 TRX300 Fourtrax....hands down. The 1996-2000 models weren't bad, but were built in the USA and do indeed have a few flaws that never became big issues with the Japanese models.

This company built a legacy in the early 1980s and early 90s for having the best products and at the best price. Since that time, the OEMs have caught up and some have even surpassed them in terms of marketing strategy and sales numbers.

Honda's legacy for reliability was easy to achieve because they kept things very simple and very owner friendly.

In the past 10 years, they aborted that idea while other OEMs adopted it.</end quote></div>

I agree with KNOWSALOT - the earlier TRX300(FW)'s are still the most reliable Honda quad ever produced - I actually prefer the '88 - '92 as they actually produce more HP due to camshaft grind - they did not have to meet emissions requirements - with an upgrade to the later model rear axle and hubs, you actually have a better quad than the last versions.

Since I started helping Dad in the shop 7 years ago, I have seen the "insides" of more "newer model" Honda engines than the total of any other quad manufacturer on the market COMBINED - - I can rebuild a Rancher 350 engine from the bottom up in my sleep - since they rank #1 for rebuilds through our shop.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:41 PM
2 strokes or 4

86' 250r atc

Old 09-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Which Honda is the best?"></title><script src=

1986 250sx atc gets my vote.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

The TRX 300 is definanlty a top candidate for sure...there are 100's here in NL still running strong. The Foreman 450's are also holding up well too, my 1998 runs strong, and one of the crew had a 1999 with over 60,000 kms on the clock albeit it smoked like crazy but the motor was never touched.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with the 300 Fourtraxx. I have seen several of these bikes be compleatly submerged, and roled over under water while running. Never onec did they become hydro locked or start to smoke. Hell the owners didn't even stand the bike on the backend to drain the muffler. Just role it back upright, and crank it up wheater it is still under water or not. That engine is bulitproof.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

mine....lol hard to say wich one is the best ...200s threewheeler...250x...300ex...300fw4x4....trx70... .crf50...i find it hard to find a bad honda

Quick Reply: Which Honda is the best?