Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2004 Rancher ES Code 6-ECU Relay Circuit Fault?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Rancher ES Code 6-ECU Relay Circuit Fault?

I have a 2004 Honda Rancher 400 with the electric shift/AT. It will not shift out of first gear and will go into reverse, but only sputters. I checked the error code and had 6 flashes. I have searched this website and found that this code represents a ECU relay circuit fault. I am ok mechanically, but when it comes to the electrical stuff, I don't know a whole lot. I would like to get this fixed before the 4th of July weekend so I figured I would consult the experts here.

My question is, where is the ECU located on my Rancher? I spoke with a couple of honda shops and they have been less than helpful. One guy told me he thought it was behind the right rear wheel. I haven't had a chance to look, but wanted to confirm this. I want to check all of the wiring connections before I purchase a new ECU, which runs about $180. I was driving through some tall weeds when it went out so it is very possible that I pulled something loose. Also, does anybody have any wiring diagrams for a 2004 Rancher? Neither of the local Honda shops have the shop manuals for sale so they would be a big help. Any suggestions you may have will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Code #6 is angle sensor system "swash plate angle" ... Here are the tests for code #6 .. Also a pic of the ESP component layout..

================================================== =========================================

Old 07-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

Like shown in HondaMechanic's reply, check the connections of the ECM under the fender and behind the air cleaner sub-tube. If needed, one clamp and one bolt hold it on, easy to remove to acces the ECM connections.

----- Gimp -----

Old 07-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

Yes check all couplers for moisture , clean & grease them then re-test the bike .. Do the tests before you buy a new ECM ..

Old 07-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I really appreciate the responses and all of the information provided. I never expected such a detailed response, it will help a lot. I am hoping to find the time to check it out tomorrow so I will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again for the help.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the same machine and have gone through four angle sensors. The last trip to the shop they also cut off the lead connect put on new pins and also a new angle sensor. This past Thursday my wife and I went riding aande now I have the same problem. Myacts like it wants to shift into the shifting mode. If I let off the gas you can hear the machine make the shifting noise. Now Honda is telling my local dealer to replace the clutch. Our local dealer has three machines with the same issue's. Honda keeps saying we are the only area with this problem. I have 4 thousand miles on my machine and haven't made it to a 1,000 miles each time without a break down.

I believe I've fixed my problem I went to look at some new machines today and all I can say is good by honda.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default cant read image

Having the same issue with my honda. replaced the angle sensor and reinitialized with no luck. tried to look at your post hondamechanic and it wont open. hoping you could repost.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Did you ever figure this issue out? I ran into the same exact problem. 1st and reverse sputter.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ever fix it?

Originally Posted by Bowhunter20
I have a 2004 Honda Rancher 400 with the electric shift/AT. It will not shift out of first gear and will go into reverse, but only sputters. I checked the error code and had 6 flashes. I have searched this website and found that this code represents a ECU relay circuit fault. I am ok mechanically, but when it comes to the electrical stuff, I don't know a whole lot. I would like to get this fixed before the 4th of July weekend so I figured I would consult the experts here.

My question is, where is the ECU located on my Rancher? I spoke with a couple of honda shops and they have been less than helpful. One guy told me he thought it was behind the right rear wheel. I haven't had a chance to look, but wanted to confirm this. I want to check all of the wiring connections before I purchase a new ECU, which runs about $180. I was driving through some tall weeds when it went out so it is very possible that I pulled something loose. Also, does anybody have any wiring diagrams for a 2004 Rancher? Neither of the local Honda shops have the shop manuals for sale so they would be a big help. Any suggestions you may have will be greatly appreciated.
DID YOU EVER FIND THE FIX? I have same exact issue.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Bowhunters question was 10 years ago, doubt if he/she is on here now. Honda mechanic wrote that code 6 is angle sensor anyway so go for that. If like some later posters it keeps eating angle sensors, I had a Rubicon that did this after rodents had made a mess of the loom. Tried to find and fix all wires, and even the Honda dealer couldn't find the fault, but in the end was lucky enough to find a breaker who was selling a Rubicon loom cheap, once fitted the fault didn't recur.

Quick Reply: 2004 Rancher ES Code 6-ECU Relay Circuit Fault?