Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

420 Rancher hard starting...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 420 Rancher hard starting...

2007 with 117 miles on it... I've used it today around the yard and noticed it was getting harder and harder to start.

Any suggestions on what to start checking...connectors or what the battery voltage should be. Could it be I just ran it on too may short trips and didn't let it run enought to charge the battery?

Since it only has electric start (pull starter is an add on) I'm hesitant to play with it too much since I may have to get it on the back of my truck to haul down to the dealer. Its still under warranty and needs to have the recall taken car of yet too.

Thanks

Old 07-28-2008, 03:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on top of the throttle body there is a sensor called an IACS. The plate holding it on has 2 torx headed screws holding it in place. Since they have a pin in the middle of the torx pattern, a torx safety bit will be needed to remove them (or a small vice grip). Remove the IACS and clean any grease and debris from it. Spray carb cleaner into the bore it was removed from and clean the bore with a q-tip. Reinstall the IACS taking note the slot in the side of it and its placement within the bore. After secureing with the plate and screws, reconnect it to the wire harness. Turn on the ignition switch and listen for it to click, or buzz. When turning the key on, the ecm takes a reading from the IACS and it's travel is stored within the ecm for operation while the quad is started and or running. It repeats this proceedure each time, as the 420 has an open loop injection system, unlike a closed loop injection system where this data would be saved in the ecm.
If it does not click or buzz, the IACS (or stepper motor, as refered to when introduced to the fuel injection world) could be bad. By the way IACS stands for idle air control solenoid, so it is directly affiliated with start up fuel air mixture.
Remove the spark plug and check for fouling. If it is black, the IACS has most likely been having issues. Replace the spark plug.
Check the intake valve clearance. Many of these units came out with tight valves which will also contribute to spark plug fouling.
Make sure the battery is fully charged.
When you take the unit to your Honda dealer, have them reset the ECM with their HDS (diagnostic tool) after checking codes and clearing them. Once this is done, let the unit idle for 15 minutes after the coolant temp sensor has reached operating temp.
If the unit still has issues starting after all he above has been covered, the ECM may be faulty.
I suggest adding a Power Commander to the unit and map it for ultimate performance.

----- Gimpster -----

Old 08-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

Just to pass on it was a crappy battery. I pulled it and my dealer tested it. It was 11 months old... Honda would not cover it under warranty but my dealer gave me one at cost.

Thanks.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Good to hear, batteries are funny like that sometimes you just get a dud. Having a vechicle sitting around alot not being used can be hard on a battery, especially in the cold. My first ATV battery lasted 7 years, bike always in heated storage. My 2nd only lasted 2 years being cold stored in the winter.

Now I've picked up a battery tender Jr from my dealer ($34 CDN) which you connect to the battery and it will maintain it for you. THey have a great reputaiton for extending the life of batteries, esp in recreational vechicles.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Trailblazer

It wasn't from lack of starting or sitting. I've used/started my Rancher just about every week. Just a bad battery. Voltages were good and it still started but lacked power to really turn it over.

Between 3 vehicles a Quad, Sled and Tractor I do need to get a battery charger.