Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HELP! Is the 250EX for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2001, 06:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This question is for all the new 250EX owners out there and also the veterians who know the sport well. I have a recon right now, but am really looking forward to getting a 250EX. Only now, I'm second guessing myself. I wanted the 250 because of the more power, lighter weight, and more over-all sporty-ness. I ride mostly around my yard and on my own home-made MX track. The tallest jump on the track is a 4 foot launch jump that I just barly bottom out on my recon in the top of 4th gear. I also have a lot of trails around that I ride on too. During summer break, I go to a local MX track that is your typical size, 15 foot table tops, lots of whoops, and the occasional 15 foot launch ramp. I've been going there with the recon, and have found in under-powered and the suspension just a bit inadiquate, but only a bit. By the way, I'm 15, 110lbs, and about 5'8". Any and all input is welcome, just no bashing please, I know I could spring for a 300EX, but really don't want to as of right now.

Old 01-31-2001, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

I'M not bashing it or nuting but the 250ex is the same thing as a recon with better handling ans suspension, I would hold off and wait and buy a 300ex you'd like it alot more , it is way faster , has better suspension , handles better , climbs great, is a great trail quad , has reverse , and hes a lot of mods you can add.
I doubt there will be many mods out for a 250ex since its not a going to be the most popular SEMI-sport quad.

Old 01-31-2001, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree. If your going to be jumping then you want something with a bit more power. The 250ex is a nice quad and if you want it then get it, but in my opinion the 300ex sounds better.

Old 01-31-2001, 09:48 PM
Range Rover

Actually, I've been told and I've also read that the 250 has almost the same power as the 300 and it's lighter. So power isn't the issue, the recon is, in fact, fast enough for me as is. Also, like I said, the suspension on the recon is ok, but I think the more sporty and lighter suspension of the 250 will be better. 3o0eXpAuL even said the 250's suspension was better than the recon's. But thank you for your input anyway.

Old 01-31-2001, 09:52 PM
Range Rover

1 more thing. I'd like an un-biased opinion, like one from someone who has a 300 AND a 250. I noticed the first two reply's were from 300 owners.

Old 02-01-2001, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

I would like to try to answer this for you. I had a recon last summer, but was disappointed with the power and the suspension. I also was going to buy the 250ex. So I did lots of homework. I searched the net, and what I found is... The suspension and the power of the 250ex is not the same as the Recon, but it is simular. If you are going to buy the 250ex because you want something a little sportier and with better suspension, I don't think you will be happy with it. You are a growing young man, and I am sure with time you are getting better with your riding abilities. Like me, you will find that you need more suspension and power than the 250ex has to offer. Keep your Recon, save your money, and when you are confident enough that you really want to buy another quad, get a 300 or 400ex. You probably don't want to hear this, but I would hate for you to have to go thru buying another quad because you are not satisfied. Go out and find a dealership with a 250ex, test ride it, and then decide. But keep in mind that your abilities will outgrow the 250ex as you grow.
Oh, and I am only 5' tall and 105lbs and I am old enough to be your mom and I glad I bought the 300ex instead of the 250ex. Just my thoughts.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumlist?u=1464970

Old 02-01-2001, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Don't get me wrong, the 250ex is a great little quad, but it doesn't compare to the 300ex. They are two totally different quads.
If you told me that you were just riding around in your back yard i'd say go with the 250ex, but since you seem to be more into jumping, and mx-ing then i suggest you get a 300ex.
The suspension on the 300 is alot more like the suspension on the fast quads.
Besides that if you get the 300ex you'll have something to grow into, rather than having to get yet another quad after you outgrow the 250ex...which you will do eventually.
Your best bet is to find somebody who has a 300ex and take it for a spin, i'm sure you'll be hooked.
Mike

Old 02-01-2001, 06:40 PM
Range Rover

Alright, alright, alright. Lets say that i give in and want a 300EX now. Do you think a 110lb, 5'8" 15 year old will be able to handle it? Is it easy to operate the clutch? Should I get a new or used one? How much should i pay for a used one in good shape? Will I ever grow out of it? Some people say that 300's don't have that great of a record in terms of reliability and over all performance, is this right? Please be honest. If I'm going to dump all that money into a 300, should I just spring for a 400, or will a 300 suit me just fine. I'm thinking no to the 400 just because it's too much for a casual rider like me. Thanks everyone for all your input.

Old 02-01-2001, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

man i'm just turned 14 and I've had a LOT of riding time on a 300ex and i can handle one just as good as anybody.I like it better than my 230.Just get a manual clutch quad like the 300.It will be a whole lot more fun.By the way from what I've seen the 300 is a class leader and is very reliable.

Old 02-01-2001, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

hehe a 15 year old that can't use a clutch! i'm just teasing you. Some people just aren't raised right!

You will be fine with a 300ex.

Long term reliablity? someone how been lying to you. These things will run more or less forever.

And you can always do a lot more mods to it to make it faster if you get tired of the power.

To me there is no way a push rod recon motor has the same amount of power as a 300ex. I just don't see it.

But its your call in the long run a 300ex will be the better quad.

if you have the cash go buy a new one, or a used new one. one that has been rode once and traded in or something. it happens to all quads..doesn't mean something is wrong or tey are junk

Quick Reply: HELP! Is the 250EX for me?