Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Dirt Wheels Pipe Shoot out correction.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2001, 02:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to Mike at FMF racing first about the noise reading in dirt wheels and he said that Dirt Wheels was using a exhuast that was over a year old and was not the new sqaure two it was the old round core. He claims that they misplaced the square two. Also he says that they are coming out with different end caps for the sqaure two to make it quiter release date is sometime early spring. Mike said that they are going to have dirt Wheels put something related to this mistake in the next issue. Just thought I would let everyone know what was really going on.

Old 02-02-2001, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer

I didnt get to see that issue and i wanted to know how the FMF did againtst the biggun and all the others!!And who got the best rating for bottom-midrange power!

Old 02-02-2001, 02:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Midrange was much closer, but the Big Gun silencer made the most bottom. The write-up said that the Big Gun always got the holeshot. Also, if I am not mistaken, the Big Gun made less power on top chan the stocker.

Old 02-02-2001, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

there's no dummy's at honda and its hard to beat honda's exhaust.if you go to gt thunder's web(www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo)in the bench test/400ex they test a stock machine versus no airbox and this is without rejetting and a k&n.all that midrange gain wasn't the pipes,nor the dip before peak-do after market exhaust really out perform the stocker?the shoot out was biased(they should of tested the stocker with the same airbox/jetting/filter mod.all you really gain with a pipe is noise,pretty looks,less weight and an empty wallet-)a HIGHLY modified machine will gain more with a megaphone and bigger headpipes though)

Old 02-04-2001, 12:06 AM
Range Rover

This is just my opinion but i don't think the test did any justice to the pipe selection on the market now. They only tested the main stream mass produced pipes. I will go with a tried and trued engine builders pipe anyday. I put a sparks exhaust on my 400 and there are none around that can touch me. There are big guns, fmf, white bros, and a few double barrels and they all loose. Like i said its just an opinion and some facts.

Old 02-05-2001, 12:37 AM
Range Rover

I'm no mechanic, but recently our local OHV riding area started to do decibal checks. My FMF power core 4 was above the 101 decibals allowed. I went home and installed my stock exhaust and my 400 ex would barely run. As I said before, I'm no mechanic, but with simple mods done to your engine,the stock exhaust just doesn't breathe nearly as well as aftermarket. Yes my pocket is lighter, but my quad is much faster for it.