Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Putting a fuel filter on my recon

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting a fuel filter on my recon

Does anyone have any tips for installing a fuel filter? I was going to cut the existing line and then put a filter in it with clamps on the hose. I'm tired of cleaning the idle jet all the time and I know it's because there's trash coming from the tank and I'm going to end up having to clean it but I can't get around to it yet. I thought this might be a good preventative measure until I can really get in there and clean it good.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago, I ran fuel filters on everything. Then I quit, and I don't notice one bit of difference.

If your pilot jet is clogged, it is because old stale fuel is drying up and leaving scum behind, and not because of dirt in your fuel....but go ahead, it won't hurt anything.

A fuel preservative will do you more good though! I run Klotz Octane Booster, which contains a fuel preservative and ester synthetic lube for the top end. No problems with clogged up pilots in the many years since I started using it.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the input.

I just drained out the old fuel last week and put in fresh along with sea foam (which I've read has a fuel preservative) as well as cleaned the carb. I still keep getting little pieces of trash in the jet. That's why I''m thinking the filter will help. I think there is probably just some junk in the tank itself that keeps getting pulled down through the carb.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

Great advise Recon about the stabilizer. I would go ahead and throw an inline filter in there. It won't hurt anything at all.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pinetag
A clear fuel filter is the way to go. I bought a new 680 EFI & started having on off power problems. It took a long time to sort it out. It came down a black power that was in the fuel tank from new. I had to replace the fuel pump ($300 + labor) It does't mader fuel or carb, keep it clean. Make sure you keep the filter away from the head pipe or you will have other problems.

Tonyrincon

Old 01-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Range Rover

thanks for the advice tony. I think the head pipe is far enough away from the fuel line that I will be ok. It comes up under the side plastic just under the seat so it should be high enough and far enough away from center to not get hot.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

i just purchased a bunch of inline filters from rmatv. not a bad price. like recon said it cant hurt to add one. klotz is great stabilzer and so is sta-bil. both will keep your gas fresh up to 60 days of sittin.