Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

04 Honda TRX 350 CARB probs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Honda TRX 350 CARB probs.

Hi guys, im new here. i just searched for a good forum and i found this one so i signed up to give it a shot. I just got me a 04 rancher 4x4 from my girlfriends grand father. he used it for hunting and it had been sittin up for like year so i asked him could i get it. battery was still good i drained the gas and put some fresh it an it cranked right up with the choke on. but as i let it warm up and evently played with it for a few days it will not stay running if i turn the choke completely off. i tried the air fuel mixture **** thats not the problem. anyone think i should just take the carb apart and clean it or just try to run some lucas gas treatment and some sea foam in the gas tank first.? help please. ;-)

Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you've got some jets gummed up. I'd recommend pulling the carb, taking it apart and pull the jets, and blasting the jets and passages with some good carb cleaner. I like B12 Chemtool. Don't forget to hit the openings in the throat of the carb.

Additives in the gas, in my experience, won't fix somthing significantly varnished.

Be sure to change the oil and filter, if you haven't already.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey there friend, yes when i got it home i went to napa and got some oil and filter and new plug. so can i get this B12 chemtool from autozone or O' riellys? and just let it soak for hour or two or over night? some people been telling me to put some sea foam in my gas.. what do you say about that.. Im thinkin about tom. taking the carb off and getting some cleaning agents. i just want to make sure i get the most potent gunk eating chemical ha. thanks a million also, i dont have an air compressor yet.. so i can really used compressed air. ;(

Old 02-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That carb cleaner is probably at just about any auto parts store. Actually, most every carb cleaner spray I've tried did a good job.

I wouldn't soak it, just blast out all the passages. I wouldn't let the stuff sit on anything rubber or plastic for any length of time. If you don't have a compressor, a can of computer duster might be worth picking up.

The sea foam stuff isn't bad, but if it's been sitting that long and won't idle at all without the enrichment thing open, I doubt anything you could put in the fuel would cure it.

You could try that if you want, but I'd suspect you would still end up taking the carb apart to clean it right.