Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

is there a problem with my 300ex?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy is there a problem with my 300ex?

i just bought a used 300ex and i have some questions about the clutch/transmission. first off i bought this mechine from a guy who had it since new, and it has been in storage for 8+ months. i has a plus1 tooth front sprocket and smaller rear sprocket as well, i dont know if it would effect the transmission at all? an the guy put a new clutch in it before it went into storage.it was a crumby day so i only road it around the parking lot for a couple munites, also had 2 friends ride it a whill and they both could not find a flaw with it-ie tranny not acting up.

#1 got it home later that day and started it up, but when i put it in reverse to get off the trailer it started going backwards by itself! clutch was completly in! the only thing i can think of is that it was cold, because when i put it in reverse later on, warm, it just jurked a little and didnt move until i let the clutch out.

#2 when i go to shift up from first to second, and sometimes third, i pull the clutch in-shift-and let the clutch out and it takes a second AFTER i let the clutch out then i hear a loud CLICK and then im in gear picking up speed.

#3 im going threw the gears and come to a stop, with the clutch lever in im shifting down with my foot but will only go down 1-2 gears then i have to let the clutch out half way, hear a CLICK, then i can shift back down to neutrail.

What in the world is going on? oil if full and good. also will not do a wheelie...it will kill itself im guessing the clutch was not installed correctly, or was dry when i rode it. i only rode it for 20-30 munites so it could be a one time thing, and i hope its nothing major... sorry for the novel BTW

Last edited by cherokee99; 03-31-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Well, first off, make sure it's adjusted right. After that, check the chain and rear bearings. That could be where the click is coming from. Thrid, those gears sound kind of tall if it's a stock motor, and that could wear a clutch out. So, maybe it's a clutch. They're not hard to do on a 300. And you can get one for $50.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

the cable and chain are adjusted correctly, i can get it moveing with no gas wat so ever. chain slop is correct with manual settings. rear axel was changed to a durablu-with greasable bearings-all tight as new. i could see how talller gears might hurt a clutch, but it has like 1hour on a new clutch. the clicking sound isnt the chain jumping a tooth, chain slot is within spec...could you mabe install the clutch springs too tight, where they would be ingadgeing the clutch just a bit much? idk im throwing out guesses

Old 03-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

im having the same problems with my clutch, it is not new but i am having the same symptoms, sometimes when i pull in the clutch and shift from neutral to first it will jerk hard and die if i dont give it gas, and it wont go into neutral with the clutch in i have to turn the atv off to get it into neutral im guessing becuz the clutch is not working all the way and i have adjusted it to every way possible so im guessing i need a whole new clutch.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have the same problem my 300 was sitting for a year the previous owner installed a new clutch and then it sat. i am finding the more i use it the clutch is getting better. maybe you just have to change the oil and ride it some to see if it is getting better if not maybe you have to tare in to it.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

that was my hunch, ride it and see if it helps. setting around hasent helped it any. im gonna change the gas and clean out the fuel shut-off filter as well. ill ride it for a week then put some nice amsoil synthetic in it. hope that helps the problem

thanks for letting me know im not alone with these problems guys