Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Anyone own a trx 700?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda says its target audience for this machine is the current big bore utility rider, who wants something more "sporty". In the end, it all comes down to the type of trails you ride. If "nasty bumpy trails" is what you mostly ride, plus you are a big guy and are getting bored riding utilities, then it was probably made for you!

Don't however, get sucked in by the "700" thing. Honda will sell these to some folks who figure that "it's a 700 so it must be the top of the line fire breathing dragon"....and they will be disapointed clunking around on an overweight pig.

This is a hybrid "specialty" machine plain and simple. It will never be the ultimate all around quad that most folks will prefer!

Old 05-30-2009, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 700xx seems like a good all around quad to me....good ground clearance,good power,nice IRS suspension,and its a clutch. makes it a real nice quad that can be very capable...you can go carve some dunes and get up to really high top speed, go hit some jumps, go in some rough muddy rocky conditions, win a few drag races, i think its a very versatile atv and i think they did a good job, everyone seems to be kinda booing it but i think its a nice bike, honda usually isnt the ones to make a nice new design like this but i like the 700xx.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:37 AM
Red Rider

We can certainly expect other IRS "hybrid" machines from Honda!!! All they have to do is yank the racks and front end drive off the Rancher 420AT or Rincon, and strip off all the unnecessary weight. It's the natural course of design evolution, and trumps 2wd hybrids like the Wolverine 350 with its ancient old Warrior engine and foo foo CVT drive in every single way!!! Thing is with all sales being slow, is there enough incentive for them to get these new designs to market quickly???

I would certainly prefer a stripped 2wd version of the smaller more nimble Rancher 420AT, to that huge XX. That 420 engine screams!

Old 05-30-2009, 03:25 AM
Range Rover

I have decided that this quad is for me and I am getting one next year (in red).

Old 05-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Red Rider

Originally Posted by coolrunnings
I have decided that this quad is for me and I am getting one next year (in red).
We will be waiting for your rider review!

One thing all the magazines say is that it pushes in turns, so like has been pointed out different tires will be the first thing you will need. I think somebody (ITP???) makes aftermarket tires specifically for this machine (the rims are an odball size).

Old 05-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by coolrunnings
Absolutly tell us how you like it.

I think if you take it for what it is (which it sounds like you are doing) it could meet some rider's needs and wants well.

Most of my riding is in areas with bone jarring square edged rocks and root drops and stuff like that. Desert trails here are mostly ruts over a bunch of rocks. After a couple hours on a SRA machine it becomes more punishing than fun, even for young riders.

I can also see the thing about utility riders looking for something more. It can be a blast to hustle a utility through a curvy rough trail, but you find their limits pretty soon (mostly due to weight IMHO).

Old 05-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ss97
The simple fact that you "had to relearn how to ride" is what bothers me....... I don't have the time to relearn how to ride, I'm way too old for that..... Especially while wide open in the woods or through the whoops, one little mistake that I didn't learn yet in the split second could end up hurting a lot........
It's not like it took months to do. I had about 5 hours of seat time when it was figured out. A IRS machine does not handle the same as a SRA machine. So a change in riding technique is in order.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Originally Posted by sprayedgt
It's not like it took months to do. I had about 5 hours of seat time when it was figured out. A IRS machine does not handle the same as a SRA machine. So a change in riding technique is in order.
I wish I liked IRS....... I'm getting old so the smoother ride might be nice....lol...

But I rode an Outlaw IRS and I absolutely hated it....It was fine a slow or medium speeds, but when I started pushing myself, weird things were happening. I nearly crashed in places that I can normally ride in my sleep.

The feeling of the suspension moving on all 4 axis, as opposed to 3, was just too odd. It felt all washy like I was on a snowmobile or watercraft or something. There was no feedback from the trail through the rear end and that I didn't like. And getting the rear to slide, that was a problem for me too....it wanted to "drive" around turns which made me push wide in every turn.

On a 4x4 for slow cruising, yeah I'd probably get an IRS and like it. But for aggressive riding, I just don't think I could get used to it. I've got 25 years of bad riding habits to undue which would take me a lot more than 5 hours of riding.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not to knock anyone else's brand, but the IRS on Hondas is totally different than Outlanders.

Honda I think spends a lot of time getting spring rates, damping, anti-sway bar kind of stuff dialed in.

The Rincon can really blast over rough stuff at a speed I wouldn't contemplate on my Foreman, yet it isn't wallowy or mushy feeling, and doesn't have excess body roll on fast sweepers or side hills.

Never ridden a 700xx, but I'm betting the same attention to suspension performance went into it. I don't think it would be the best choice for my use, but I would like to get a chance to take one for a real ride.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by reconranger

Don't however, get sucked in by the "700" thing. Honda will sell these to some folks who figure that "it's a 700 so it must be the top of the line fire breathing dragon"....and they will be disapointed clunking around on an overweight pig.
Like I said, don't let the weight fool you. 50lbs heavier than the Raptor is nothing. The 700xx will hand the Raptor 700 it's a$$ if you know how to ride. I've done it many times as have MANY, MANY other 700xx owners. Just check out youtube and see for yourself. There is no such thing as an "ultimate" ATV. Every single one will excel in one area and lack in another. The 700xx does excel in the rough rutted terrain it was designed for. Put any other SRA ATV in the same places and I promise you it'll get hung up.

Originally Posted by reconranger
I would certainly prefer a stripped 2wd version of the smaller more nimble Rancher 420AT, to that huge XX. That 420 engine screams!
If you think the 420 engine screams you seriously need to ride the xx. It'll run circles around that thing even if the Rancher is stripped to the frame. It only makes 26hp which is dead even with the 400ex.

The IRS is amazing. You can seriously blast over things that would toss you off a SRA machine. I cannot say enough good things about the xx. It's Maxxis that makes the xx specific RAZR's and they are in the 22x10-11 size, 1 inch wider than stock.