Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 400 Performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher 400 Performance mods

hey guys. I have a 06 Rancher 400. it is a great bike, but i was looking for things to do to give it a little more power. would a pipe make much difference? maybe an air filter, pipe, and jet kit combination?
what would yall recommend?

Thanks, jacob

Old 11-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aftermarket muffler and maybe a header as well if you can find one. Vent the airbox, but only if that isn't going to be an issue when you do stream crossings, etc. An aftermarket air filter. My experience is that K&N's pass fine dust, so I go with UNI foam air filters. And yes, if you do anything at all to the intake and/or exhaust, you will require a rejet.

Mostly however, I think it is your trans design that sucks down all your power! You would have been better off with a gear-on-gear manual trans model Rancher instead....

Old 11-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 400 King Quad and went with a HMF slip on, K&N and a Dyna Jet kit. WOW what a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys. i know the transmission is what hurts it the most, however i like the option to go from manual to auto when i want to. i think i saw online somewhere a clutch kit for this bike, is that possible for this transmission?
and also what pipe would yall recomend? i ride it around the neighborhood ocasionally, so nothin too terribly loud

Old 11-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

I have an 04 Rancher AT and the best thing I did was to snorkel it which increased the airflow.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PewterGMC
Thanks guys. i know the transmission is what hurts it the most, however i like the option to go from manual to auto when i want to. i think i saw online somewhere a clutch kit for this bike, is that possible for this transmission?
and also what pipe would yall recomend? i ride it around the neighborhood ocasionally, so nothin too terribly loud
I have always has great luck with FMF exhausts. I would check their web site.

http://www.fmfracing.com/Mode/Bike/2...NDA_RANCHER400

Not initmately familiar with this trans (thankfully!), but "clutch kits" are usually done on belt drives where you want to have the clutch engage sooner or harder. This trans is sealed, and is not user or even dealer serviceable. If there is a clutch outside the trans that you can mess with, I don't know....

Old 11-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Trailblazer

I dont think that there is any type of clutch that you could out in it as previously stated its sealed, and not servicable....they ca it a CVT constant variable transmission, Dont hold me to this but i think it runs soley on hydalic pressure, somewhat like a auto in your car, only without the bands...I think.

I love mine, but i'm in the same boat... wish it had more power for hard pulling, considered exhuast but i use it for hunting so stock is fine for me.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Trailblazer

yes the honda a/t does and still has a clutch.
there are aftermarket kits for this clutch from highlifter and other places,
I have not tried one yet but they are suppose to increase the engine speed so the clutch engages at a higher rpm= more power.....
This is just what I have read.