Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2007 Honda Recon rough idle and backfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009 | 10:32 PM
|
Range Rover

Hi guys! It looks like I fixed the issues with the Recon!!!! It runs & idles like a million bucks now! Here is what I did. I went out and purchased a Clymer manual and it was helpful to have this detail. When I got to the project I pulled the airbox and cleaned it thoroughly and replaced the filter. Then I pulled the carb and took several pictures of it with my digital camera to make it easier to remember where the vacuum lines went. I then took it all apart as instructed in the Clymer manual. I had an issue removing the pilot screw because it is designed to take a special tool to remove it (it is set by the factory and not meant to be jacked with by the weekend worrier due to emissions. I also think this had a lot to do with my underlying problem, it was set too lean). I was able to remove the pilot screw by carefully using a small screwdriver but it did require patients. (Once removed I was able to take a Dremel tool & cut a slot in the top of the pilot screw for installation and future adjustment by a slotted screwdriver.) Once apart I used aerosol carb cleaner to clean all the ports, lines, jets, etc. It was actually quite clean, but I still gave it a good once over. I replaced the rubber seals and gaskets and put it all back together again. When setting the pilot screw the manual wasn’t very clear and said 2 7/8 turns out for ’97 models and 2 5/8 turns out for ’98-’01 models. It didn’t say anything for ’07 models. I wanted to start a little rich so I stared at 3 turns out and it is set there now. After putting it all back together it stared right up once the fuel got to the carb bowl. I let it warm up and set the idle. It idled great! Then ran it good in the hilly 10 acre pasture behind our house at all different speeds, RPMs, costing downhill, pulling uphill, etc. Then reset the idle. Now it starts, idles, runs, etc. like it should, with no backfire!!!!! If anything I may need to tighten the pilot screw down 1/8 to 1/4 turn, but for now I’m going to leave it since it runs great!!!! Thanks for all your help guys!!

Old 12-20-2009 | 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

glad its running like normal again. im sure all the effort, research, and work was worth it. now get riding!

Old 01-18-2010 | 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Repair manual

Originally Posted by 99farmboy
I'll pull the carb and give it a good cleaning this weekend with some NAPA carb cleaner I have on hand (unless you suggest something else). I do not think I'll be able to replace the jet this weekend since my Honda dealer carries such a low parts inventory (they didn't even have an air filter on hand for this thing) so I'll clean the jet that's in it and give it a whirl.
If anyone has a good place to get a service manual that would be helpful. I can get a Clymer manual for about $40. How does this compare to the Honda service manual. Is it as good?
Any other suggestions on my idle issues would also help.
Thanks again for all your help!!!!
I saw that amazon.com has a haynes manual for $27.00 Ive used these on my vehicles for years and I have never Had any problems for they are very detailed!!! Hope this helps,
Mike

Old 02-14-2010 | 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you know a shop that carries Parts Unlimited parts you can buy a carb rebuild kit. They come with float needle needle jet fuel mixture screw all gaskets o- rings pilot and main jet for a stock carb. Even if you don't need all the stuff you have it for later and it is way better than buying each part seperate.